Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 15-11-2002 , 07:25 AM

Version parity?

With the advent of Maya 4.5 and version parity, will NT plug-ins and MEL scripts now work with the Mac OSX version? Or are we Mac users left out in the cold and have to wait for Mac updated versions (if and when)?

# 2 15-11-2002 , 09:14 AM
Ok, correct if I'm wrong...

My educated guess (lol) would be that some will work in all platforms and some will not (heh, how enlighteninguser added image).

I haven't written any plugins but at least for MELs there are some platform specific functions that will work only in one platform. But with clever programming this situation can be avoided (e.g. one could find out which platform the script is running on and behave accordingly).

Since plugins are actually binary executables, they have to be compiled for different platforms anyway. So it's up to the plugin maker what platforms they'll support.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 16-11-2002 , 09:14 AM
Actually, this isn't such a problem as I had first thought. Maya is so feature rich that I can usually get away with not needing any plug-ins to achieve what I want.

I think my real concern was more for the compatibility of shaders and scenes between platforms. The reason for this is that I like to "reverse engineer" scenes/shaders to see how they're done. Sort of how I learned HTML.

I haven't had any luck loading/opening anything into Maya 3.5 to "see how it's done". Mostly this is a problem with version parity (4.0 scene files not opening in 3.5). I was hoping that this would be resolved in 4.5.