Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 14-07-2007 , 02:36 AM

Editing joint dropoff

Hi,

I'm working through a tutorial and at the moment I'm binding my mesh to a skeleton. It talks about adjusting the Drop Off Rate of the joints, using the Smooth Skin Parameters section in the attribute editor for the joint.

Thing is, I'm using 8.5 and I don't see it. I see the Smooth Skin Attributes section but don't think it's the same thing since it doesn't have anything re Dropoff. It offers the ability to alter the Maximum influences, but that's all.

Anyone know where I should be looking in 8.5? Also, generally, what other options re joint influence can I look at and tweak before I start painting weights?

thanks,

gubar.

# 2 16-07-2007 , 04:48 AM
funny, when you hit the options box from SmoothBind the last fader is for the Dropoff rate. you can´t miss it usually. maybe an installation error..?

you can´t do wrong too much in the beginning with smoothBind. I myself prefere to select only those joints I need (like skipping all Joints from the end of chains to improve performance) and change Bind To: Joint Hierarchy.

max influence is good at 3 for starting. you also might check: Maintain max influence.

test the settings. you will get it soon! and don´t use the smooth operation too much when you start painting the weights user added image

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.