Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 18-04-2008 , 01:54 AM

Constrain to Live Nurb surface problem

These are the directions for a project I am doing from a book.. they are basically saying to make a NURBS sphere.. make it live and then snap the points of a curve to it.. but they aren't snapping? Are you supposed to hold a button while moving the points?

Or is there some setting in the move tool that should be on?

I have searched all through the site here and look through the manual but can't figure out what's going on here.

2. Create, translate, and scale a NURBS sphere into the position shown in front and side views at the top of Figure 5.5.

3. Make the sphere live by clicking the Magnet button in the Status line. This will turn it into a green wireframe. Now the EPs of the line of the eye can be snapped to it.

4. Pick-mask Edit Points on the eye template line as shown in the middle of Figure 5.5. Notice that when you select the Move tool, there is a circle at the center of the manipulator instead of the usual square. This shows that Maya is going to constrain the movement to some element, in this case, the live object.

5. Snap the points to the live surface by moving them slightly back and forth in the front view. You will notice them snapping to the surface in the side view.

6. Continue until all the EPs are snapped as shown at the bottom of Figure 5.5.

# 2 18-04-2008 , 12:53 PM
Subscriber
Holding down X will snap to grid
Hodling down C will snap to Vert
Holding down V will snap to something, but i forgot what.

# 3 18-04-2008 , 01:10 PM
x is grid, c is curve, v is vert.

Accept no substitutions.
# 4 18-04-2008 , 01:19 PM
Subscriber
aha good one neo, seems my brain is mixing up the shortcuts.
user added image

# 5 18-04-2008 , 01:50 PM
yeah, I tried the z,x,c,v,b,n,m buttons and none of them seemed to work.

I think it's supposed to snap to the outer surface of the sphere.. but nothing I try is doing that.

I didn't try other buttons than the ones listed because I didn't want to mess anything up to bad..

So you guys don't use this constrain verts to surfaces?

If it's something not used normally then I won't worry about it and work around it.

# 6 18-04-2008 , 02:24 PM
didn't really read the whole original post, sorry...

are you sure your sphere has been turned live?

Accept no substitutions.
# 7 18-04-2008 , 10:57 PM
That I'm not sure. it changes in some way..

the sphere's lines change a darker green..

is there some way to check if it's Live or completely Live?