Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 19-05-2009 , 04:05 AM
Subscriber

Done something wrong

I'm not sure what I've pressed but now when I go to select faces or verts of a polygonal object I get a yellow and red highlight that looks similar to verts or uv's around the object. The verts or faces I selected are no longer highlighted. If I try to move the selection the entire mesh deforms. For example if I attempt to move a vert in the X axis everything moves with it and deforms slightly as I move it. I have no earthly clue as to what I've done or what setting I'm in. What's more interesting is that if I select a different object and try to move its verts or faces it does the same thing so I'm figuring its a setting I've managed to flub.

Any thoughts?

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 2 19-05-2009 , 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
You pissed off Maya and now the pestilence is upon you. No seriously, I think you turned on soft selection in the tool options. :p

- Genny
# 3 19-05-2009 , 03:12 PM
oh yeah - gecT is right - don't piss off maya - you're lucky it's only just soft selection - last time i pissed off maya it made me work in nurbs....

# 4 19-05-2009 , 03:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanks

GecT and Arran - Thanks for your replies! Did a quick help search on soft selection tool and found the settings you mentioned. All is now well.

At least this saved me from having to ward off the pestilence by having to do something like... oh I dunno... start sacrificing small cuddly animals to get Maya to work.

user added image

Cheers!

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 5 19-05-2009 , 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
Lol you guys.

- Genny
# 6 19-05-2009 , 07:24 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
"well I just did a latin exam and it the prose translation was all about sacrificing things to drive away pestilence:

I wanted to post a witty comment involving this ^^^, but i cant think of anything, damn

last time I annoyed maya i lost a whole scene, its all there in the outliner, i just cant find it XD