Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 09-11-2009 , 10:58 AM

More motion path woes...

Hi all,

I wasn't sure whether to place this in the Newbie forum or under Animation, so apologies to the mods if this is in the wrong place.

I'm currently at my wits end trying to achieve what I thought would be a fairly trivial task.

Frames 1 - 48, I have my camera keyframed to simple linear movement.

From 49-480 (or so), I want to attach the cam to a motion path.

From 481-?, I want to attach the cam to a *different* motion path.

Currently I'm stuck at the first hurdle - I can't attach a motion path to the cam because it's translation inputs are already set. And I can't seem to break the connections at a defined time - if I break them then the motion in 1-48 stops working.

Can someone point me in the right direction before I cry!?! :headbang:

Thanks guys.

# 2 09-11-2009 , 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Well a shot in the dark here but, could you save three scenes for the different camera rigs?

- Genny
# 3 09-11-2009 , 02:40 PM

Originally posted by GecT
Well a shot in the dark here but, could you save three scenes for the different camera rigs?

I could... but by the end there's going to be a lot more than three.

Ugh... I'm not sure what the best way to organise this project is going to be from here. But at least if I take your advice I can actually continue working user added image

I think I underestimated how much of a skill in itself animating cameras etc. was.

Cheers bud.

# 4 09-11-2009 , 08:23 PM
Subscriber
perhaps you could create more than one camera (i hope you're not animating your persp camera... a definate no-no)

then you can just batch render the frames you want or use the command line to render all the cameras without having to do any input

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 09-11-2009 , 08:42 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah but wouldn't that add render time since your rendering frames you won't need?

- Genny
# 6 09-11-2009 , 08:43 PM
Subscriber
no because you can tell the batch render which frames for which camera you want rendered i thought

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 7 10-11-2009 , 08:37 AM
I've been playing around on this and I think the route I'm going to go down is a combination of the suggestions you've been kind enough to offer.

There'll probably be three saved scenes; each with maybe one or two cameras and some movements saved as clips in the Trax editor (then destroyed from the original keyframing line).

Not ideal but at least it should work; and I've lost some of the feelings of desperation I had when I started. user added image

Thanks guys.