Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 12-11-2018 , 06:01 AM

skyscraper window reflection?

I have a lot of experience modeling in Maya but not so much on shading/rendering side. I am working on a series of images that will include contemporary high-rise buildings with highly reflective windows. I am particularly interested in how the reflections are distorted by each window. I have attached reference images that I will be working from which should give you a sense of what I am talking about. In my source images, you can see how each individual window warps the reflection in a unique way. I am wondering if anyone can point me to information for how to approach this? As far as I can figure, there are two basic ways to do this. 1) find a shader that will warp the reflection differently for each pane of glass on the buildings. 2) do a render pass just for the windows and composite in a sky image. For the first approach, this seems like it may be very processor intensive and put a lot of extra geometry (i.e. extra work) into the scene to create the reflected image. For the second option, I am not sure how I would get the comped reflection to warp differently for each individual windowpane. I am expecting to use Arnold for this but can go with something else if you it makes sense.
user added image
user added image