Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 46 24-09-2007 , 05:17 AM
Jr.Who

Re: Ho Ho Ho

Originally posted by cut_the_krab
Santa's Mach Machine
Cool shit dude

Smooth it maybe?

Keep up the good work

GR
M

:attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn:

Thanks, man. I’m not smoothing it, because I don’t want my machine to go really slow.

# 47 24-09-2007 , 10:42 PM
Jr.Who
Did another hour or so of work on it. I still need to add the camo, some decals, and dirty it up.

Like always, C&C welcome.
user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 48 26-09-2007 , 05:29 AM
It's looking really good.

Kudo's for toughing it out through the uv layout.

I would rather chew my own leg off then uv unwrap a model. Just 10 minutes of it and all the life energy seems to be sucked out of me.

One of these days I will have to bite the bullet and texture map something though. I think the key is I need to start with something simple. I keep ending up with models that have a lot of extra surface detail (like beveled cubes) and then go bonkers trying to figure how to get a consistant texture on the surface.

Keep up the good work.

# 49 26-09-2007 , 07:32 PM
Jr.Who

Attached Thumbnails
# 50 29-09-2007 , 02:00 PM
Jr.Who
Another hour of work later and I got that second layer of camo in.

Still got the dirt and bump map left. I might work later on it tonight, because I have to finish this tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails
# 51 29-09-2007 , 02:04 PM
Why is the cameo so blockey? It makes it look like a really low res map, Also its not my choice of colour, but thats just opinion, but whatever floats your boat, looking good.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 52 29-09-2007 , 02:09 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
Why is the cameo so blockey? It makes it look like a really low res map, Also its not my choice of colour, but thats just opinion, but whatever floats your boat, looking good.

Originally posted by Jr.Who
I decided to go with the new digital camo look. Here’s some links to some pics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:A...at_Uniform.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:N...ng_Uniform.jpg

What colors would you recommend? user added image

# 53 29-09-2007 , 02:21 PM
See if you can find any refs of tanks in that get up to see hows its applied on them. The refs you posted have far more variation in the pattern than on your model, thus making them look less "blockey". And looking at the scale of the cameo pattern on the uniform and on your mech it seems like out of scale.

If it was me I would go for the old school camo

https://www.bayonet.net/clip_art/images/camo.jpg

but thats me

# 54 29-09-2007 , 07:47 PM
Jr.Who

See if you can find any refs of tanks in that get up to see hows its applied on them. The refs you posted have far more variation in the pattern than on your model, thus making them look less "blockey". And looking at the scale of the cameo pattern on the uniform and on your mech it seems like out of scale.

If it was me I would go for the old school camo

https://www.bayonet.net/clip_art/images/camo.jpg

but thats me

Here you go:

user added image

user added image

I was going to use the old school style, but this mech is obviously in the future, so I figured I’d use the newest style.

# 55 30-09-2007 , 05:39 PM
Jr.Who
I spent another hour today on the dirt. I’ve been messing around with a lot more ideas, but I can’t quite decide yet. I’ve decided to extend my deadline to tomorrow (curse TV user added image ).

Anyway, all that’s left is the bump and maybe some scratches (by using the burn and dodge tool). Does anyone know of a way to use the burn and dodge tools without messing with the original layer? What I mean is, I want to keep my original layers, and I want the burn and dodge stuff on a different layer.

Here’s a pic, but let me assure you, the HD version shows so much more detail.

Attached Thumbnails
# 56 01-10-2007 , 06:21 AM
Subscriber
nice work man, very nice detailing on the modelling, i'm not to keen about the texturing at the moment.

# 57 01-10-2007 , 10:34 AM
Jr.Who
OK, I finished up the texturing on it! The HD version shows off the detail (especially the bump map) much better. On my site, you‘ll find the HD pic (which I would highly recommend doing).

I’m going to go and try to rig this one. I found some tuts over at 3DTrainer (thanks to Steve) and I’m going to follow those. Although, they probably won’t be the best tuts for this mech, so I’m sure I’ll have a ton of questions!

Thanks for all of the help you guys have given me on this!

C&C welcome!

-Jr.Who
user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 58 02-10-2007 , 08:38 PM
Looks good.

be nice to see it in an environment stomping arround shooting at stuff.

# 59 02-10-2007 , 08:53 PM
Jr.Who

Looks good.

be nice to see it in an environment stomping arround shooting at stuff.

I would, but I haven’t tried compositing yet.

Anyway, I worked about an hour rigging it yesterday (trying to get the right rig, lots of problems, etc.). It shouldn’t take to long for me to complete the rig and put him in a pose. After that, I’m thinking of animating him.

I’m going on a weekend vacation (from now till Sunday), so I’ll see all you guys later!
user added image

# 60 03-10-2007 , 03:14 AM
Subscriber
have fun! if you tell us what your rig prob is, then i could help you out where i can!