Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 24-12-2013 , 02:35 PM
Prasoon Mishra
# 2 25-12-2013 , 09:19 PM
Technical Director
Cool. Is there any reason why you used fluids instead of particles?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 29-12-2013 , 09:00 AM
Prasoon Mishra
thx..
Well, right now am concentrating of fluids so I use it as possible as I can. And I think fluids have more control than particles in some case without using external forces.
What do you think ? Which one should I use ? some suggestions would be appreciated. user added image

# 4 29-12-2013 , 06:21 PM
Technical Director
Particles come to my mind first when it comes to dust, as it's not really a fluid, but a bunch of particles user added image

I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do it, I was simply wondering why you chose to use fluids.

With your test, it seems that when the balls hit, there is a realistic amount of dust thrown up; however when they roll, a huge amount is emitted. I think if you had a dirt floor, which is where the dust would be coming from, it would stop them from rolling as it has much more resistance to movement than a frictionless plane like you have now. By stopping them from moving with the dirt, you would also remove the extra emissions.

That's my only critique from what I can see. Nice job.

Last edited by NextDesign; 29-12-2013 at 06:24 PM.
# 5 30-12-2013 , 06:43 AM
Prasoon Mishra
Ya you are right .. actually I didnt worked on emission on this. My goal was to make effect when ball hit the ground, dust emits. Emission of fluids isnt a big deal.
Thanks for the observation user added image user added image

# 6 31-12-2013 , 04:40 AM
Technical Director
Here's how I did it quickly with nParticles just in case you're curious. It's essentially a particle collision event that emits particles on the first collision of each particle. Those emitted particles then have animated opacity and radius over their lifetimes. The particles are killed off once they are fully transparent, in order to keep the scene quick.

Dust simulation with nParticles - YouTube

Scene attached.

Attached Files
File Type: zip dustSim.ma.zip (11.4 KB, 284 views)

Last edited by NextDesign; 31-12-2013 at 04:42 AM.
# 7 01-01-2014 , 05:54 PM
Prasoon Mishra
Its nice effort...user added image
But I think all those particles are creating the same dust shape and opacity, also for first collision only.
What I tried, was to emit dust differently for each particle and for every collision.

# 8 01-01-2014 , 09:16 PM
Technical Director
Yes, they are showing the same shape, however you can change that by using a sprite. I also forced them to only emit on the first bounce, as generally when an object hits a dusty floor, it only has one large puff of dust, as the dirt on the ground usually dampens the future bounces.