Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 09-08-2007 , 12:18 PM

Myself in 2744 triangles

I modelled and textured a lowpoly version of myself last couple of days. Most is done now, just maybe some tweaking here and there. It's 2744 triangles, one 512x512 map for the head and another 512x512 for the body, so pretty low demanding model.

You could see that it's me anyway...hehe.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 09-08-2007 , 12:19 PM
And here's a ref pic, so you know how I look like user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 09-08-2007 , 01:20 PM
on the model, something about the shoulders doesn't look right, maybe its the shirt thats confusing me or something, but the shoulder seems curved, instead of a sharp bend.

also, the hands look weird to me too, like the whole hand is bent or something.
and the torso is too tal, or you have very baggy pants and a long shirt, lol

other than that its really good!user added image

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 4 09-08-2007 , 01:39 PM
Thanks... those things are exactly the ones that concerned me a bit too... the hands are a nightmare to get right... the torso looks tall because of the shirt, the shirt ends 2 dm below the waist... not sure what you mean about the sohulders though, you mean the are too rounded off instead of a sharp corner?

# 5 09-08-2007 , 01:58 PM

www.joopson.com
# 6 09-08-2007 , 02:34 PM
19 year Veteran
Very Nice Job DJblazer! user added image You don't look anything like I thought you would have looked like. You don't even look like a guy who is a computer geek, or a Maya geek at that. I could have easily mistaked you for a musician from a rock band judging from that guitar in the background.

Anyway, about the work, broaden the shoulders up a bit as they are drooping a little in the work so far, compared to the refference pic.

# 7 09-08-2007 , 02:47 PM
wow looks really good and the textures on the jeans looks great. any chance we can see the wire frame of it, im new to modeling and would love to see how you did it.

# 8 09-08-2007 , 02:57 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
DJ

Pretty neat, comments for improvement have already be said, but I reckon this would have made a great SM challenge!!

Cheers
Jay

# 9 09-08-2007 , 03:00 PM
nice work man, all that in a couple of days!

You think you know, but you have no idea
# 10 09-08-2007 , 03:49 PM
Thanks for the crits guys! I'll post a wire in a couple of minutes, and then I'm gonna modify the things pointed out.

# 11 09-08-2007 , 04:00 PM
Wire

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 09-08-2007 , 04:01 PM
Jr.Who
Nice texturing! When you’re finished are you going to render it in Maxwell? :p

I just have one question:

Why is it that people measure in tris? I thought that you’re supposed to go by quads…… user added image

# 13 09-08-2007 , 04:52 PM
you need tri's for game models, because most engines dont support quads. therefore when you model a low-poly thing, you usually measure it in quadsuser added image

www.joopson.com
# 14 09-08-2007 , 05:18 PM
Yeah, most graphics cards only renders triangles, programming geometrystuff can be done more easily with only triangles.

One thing is also that if you gonna measure it is quads for example, then your model has to be 100% quads... I mean what if you have a triangle somewhere? Should you say that your model are 1230 quads and 1 triangle? user added image

Hehe.. no serious Maxwell rendering for this one. The materials are to plain...I'll check and see was it looks like though.

# 15 10-08-2007 , 12:44 AM
Subscriber
Haha that's really cool blazer. If you want to push it a little more, I would give the eye shape another pass to be a little more you. Minor tweaking. It's a little round looking. Need a more oval shape and slight closing of the upper eye lid I think. It could be that the eyebrow ridge is a few mm too high too. I can't tell. It's such subtle stuff hehe.

Slap the biggest baddest Sci-Fi gun on that you can conjure up and export yourself to the half-life 2 engine. Attack of the mutant aliumz featuring Blazer Freeman, or maybe a Guitar Hero II style prop for fun haha.

Triangle count is a much nicer meassurement for game art and easier to be consistent with to avoid confusions like above imho.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 10-08-2007 at 12:49 AM.