Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 11-10-2012 , 06:23 AM

where can i download free maya 3d objects?

I've searched many times in google to search maya 3d objects for free but unfortunately it's very rarely. Almost of all is 3ds objects type or max type. To solver that problem i've installed 3dsmax program and i've opened it with 3dsmax then i export to .obj or .fbx type. After that i imported .obj or .fbx into maya but there's always problem with geometry of objects, some edges is wrong way and it made me crazy. I've installed maya bonus tool but the same problem always appear. How to solver it? Which is best way to import .max, .3ds, .obj to maya and keep pure geometry of object? Or where can i download free maya 3d objects
Please help me! Thank you so much!
Example: my file i've attached below. i've imported the vase.3ds to maya and problem is in red region. Please help me to solver it!

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by duyquyen; 11-10-2012 at 06:52 AM.
# 2 11-10-2012 , 07:57 AM
The thin red line
Could you show a shot so we can see the polys.............dave

# 3 11-10-2012 , 09:56 AM
thanks for reply! i'll post pictures about wrong edges objects later.
With one .3ds file when i import to maya and max it take 2 results look like below. I don't understand why user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 11-10-2012 , 12:44 PM
EduSciVis-er
Well you can try turbosquid for the first question. Try softening the normals and see if that fixes the shading issues.

# 5 11-10-2012 , 12:53 PM
The thin red line
Does look like some verts arnt merged............dave

# 6 12-10-2012 , 04:05 AM
As you can see pictures below. I've downloaded the file door.3ds and imported to max and maya it take 2 results wireframe mode.
- in max: it look ok
- in maya: some part of edges disappear in the scence when i tumble or dolly. And some edges appear wrong way
it's not only with the door.3ds object but also with every objects .3ds type user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 12-10-2012 , 04:22 AM

Well you can try turbosquid for the first question. Try softening the normals and see if that fixes the shading issues.

you mean i select polygon --> normals --> soften edge
it's not solvered

# 8 12-10-2012 , 04:25 AM
well you are going to get all kinds of import issues with max because of its modifier stack. The cushions on the couch for instant are most likely and instance copy with a mirror modifier. These do not get translated properly when going to maya.

You can try max -> fbx 0-> maya but first collapse the max modifier stack and only transfer geometry and textures. You also try max -> obj -> maya, but that is even less stable.

The problem is max is clearly more dominant in the game industry and home enthusiast market and that home market is where a lot of the free turbo squid stuff comes. I see mostly 3ds, obj, lw, and even modo.

You also do not see much native mb and ma files because alias the company that made maya created obj as a 3d interchange format and so many maya scenes are save out in obj. The funny (and sad) part is maya has the most unreliable obj reader/writer.

Your vase issue is that the model has been triangulated. I can tell because the hud shows the poly count as being equal to the triangle count. You are seeing the edges because their normals are most likely hard along that line of tris.

basically the bad news is max -> maya is a big can of worms and there is no magic bullet. There are lots of expensive programs that claim to convert them seamlessly but I have yet to see one that really does.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 12-10-2012 at 04:29 AM.
# 9 12-10-2012 , 06:12 AM
thanks ctbram so much!

# 10 12-10-2012 , 12:38 PM
EduSciVis-er