Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 08-04-2007 , 03:36 PM

Bens WIP thread

Im creating so many different models at one time, I thought instead of spamming the forum i should just create a single thread for my models! Heres my latest that I created today with a spare couple hours. A fairly accurate Panzer IV Medium Tank
user added image
Im not done, I still have to add on the 7.92mm machine guns, and the back flap stuff. And im always open for suggestions! I abandoned my Crystal Ball thread because my computer restarted itself while I was working on it, lost over 2hrs of work so I got really frusterated and quit on it... Anyway ill be posting here alot!
user added image

Yay, not a freshman anymore!

Last edited by kinddoggofwar; 08-04-2007 at 03:54 PM.
# 2 09-04-2007 , 01:10 AM
Added a couple things
user added image

# 3 09-04-2007 , 06:12 AM
user added image

# 4 10-04-2007 , 06:21 AM
Im starting work on a Daimler Ferret Mk 2/3, an Armored Vehicle.
user added image

# 5 10-04-2007 , 06:31 AM
Subscriber
hey there my freind, great models (I dont know how you guys get so fast so quickly??) anyway, great stuff.., but do you get out into the sun.., lack of sun causes depression.., dont forget the beach, theres some pretty good inspiration there too

M user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 6 10-04-2007 , 10:04 AM
well right now I have an 11 day spring vacation ( im on the 8th day), so I created a schedule for myself.
8am - 10 - Maya
11am - 12pm - Eat and watch south park
1pm-3pm Maya
4pm-5pm - Halo 2
6pm-11pm - Maya
12 - 2 - watch random movie(Cast away, I,Robot, ect)
and Repeat. Until the next 3 days are completed, I will be on this computer all day! After that, 6hrs of school will dampen my Maya time... I forgot what the sun looks like. And not because its been overcast here for the past 52 god D$#m weeks. Anyway, I really should give my eyes a brake, I feel and hear them sizzling as I type.
And no im not a nerd, im more of, well, obsessive. Besides, i think everyone can agree that Maya isnt one of those useless nerdy obsessions like Anime, which branches off into Pokemon, Yugioh, ect. with maya theres actual jobs out there, Special effects artist, animation studios, & others that I hope to be a candidate for once I get out of highschool & college. Im sorry if this post is too long but I have alot on my mind right now :/

# 7 10-04-2007 , 02:41 PM
Subscriber
not my point my friend, nerd or no nerd.., depression WILL come if you do not get out in the sun (scientific fact, not my paranoia) but, looks like a cool schedule. watch your health, its more important than maya..

Im very obsseive too, i think one has to be to do any thing like this
user added image

cheers user added image

# 8 10-04-2007 , 09:58 PM
Very true... so far ive only had homicidal thoughts instead of suicidal, but in due time. Right now im living off Ramon soup and coffee (not joking) so i can have more maya time. Only got on for about 45min today though sadly, slept late. Anyway, heres a very small update!
user added image

# 9 10-04-2007 , 10:58 PM
Working on the lower body and wheels, once i get the basic outline ill begin to add more detail to the whole thing!
user added image

UPDATE: Completed basic outline. Now to go in for detail and fix minor problems.
user added image

Last edited by kinddoggofwar; 10-04-2007 at 11:16 PM.
# 10 11-04-2007 , 12:33 AM
Added front lights & side carrying bag. Also tweaked lower body and wheels.

user added image

Here is the reference picture I am using (sorry about bad quality, Cell phone pic)

And here is the same view of my Daimler now. I should finish tomorrow, then ill attempt to rig it.
user added image user added image

Last edited by kinddoggofwar; 11-04-2007 at 12:39 AM.
# 11 11-04-2007 , 02:32 AM
Subscriber
looks good but..,

turrent and cabin too small compared to base, your wheels are too small too, you must be going blind from too much maya, computer, coffee and that soup user added image

go for a walk and then look at your referance photos and then your model (from the same perspective as your referances of course..,) I saw it immediately and you should too user added image

take care

# 12 11-04-2007 , 06:14 AM
hmmm... Too small? Is this any better? I just took a jog, and I now see that my secondary base was way to wide and long, my turret was too long, and the back of the Daimler didnt extrude enough (pretty much what you said summed up i guess) I fixed the wheels and please let me know what else I can do to perfect this model.

user added image
user added image

Last edited by kinddoggofwar; 11-04-2007 at 06:17 AM.
# 13 11-04-2007 , 10:57 AM
Subscriber
a jog eh?? Well, i dont want to say 'I told you so user added image )

I need better referance pics and so do you but a quick look reveals that the front guard on your model is too thin in places

great model there

Im going to eat, catch yu later

user added image

# 14 11-04-2007 , 04:32 PM
Yup, its just what I needed! The problem with doing this model is theres not much reference photos to get. All the pictures of the Model of the Daimler I have are either crappy views or only show the vehicle partially. So this Daimler isnt really a Mk 2/3, its more of a combination of the Daimler mk1, Mk2/3. and Mk2. All highly resemble eachother, but its the best I could do with the images provided by my Armored vehicle book and Google images. The front of this vehicle is really annoying since I have so many small objects on it, that its hard to change it too drasticly. Ive widened it a good amount and im planning on moveing up the wheelbase to account for the large amount of room between the front and the wheel thats not needed, thanks for your help!

UPDATE: Ive also just got the wheels rotating (my first time doing that).

user added image

Last edited by kinddoggofwar; 11-04-2007 at 06:13 PM.
# 15 12-04-2007 , 12:05 AM
Subscriber
looks great user added image