Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 16-09-2013 , 06:14 PM

UV mapping question

user added image

I just started learning UV mapping and this is my first attempt at it. I've modeled a window (the topology in this is a bit messy since it was made long time ago), so i wanted to texture it. Starting by uv mapping it. I moved+scaled the uv vertexes by hand, and i ended up with this.

Question 1: How would your uv-wrapping process look like? Would you also scale/move the vertexes by hand or would you use another technique? would you sew anything out? would using the relax tool or the unfold option be a good thing to use in this case? (i dont find it nessesairy, but then again, im new at this)

Question 2: If you look at the cornors of this mesh the checker texture is kind of going a bit crazy. I can tell it's because my uv mapping at the cornor isn't following the checker texture, so it's obviously going to be messed up in my perspective view. But how can i fix this? Should i paint on it like it is even though it doesnt look ok in the perspective view?

Question 3:
user added image
I want to use 'sew edges' on theese 2 loops to create 2 diffrent parts so i can do an autmatic mapping on the lower part and a planar mapping (sewing that so i can wrap it into a nice long piece. But when i try to sew this it doesnt do as i want. what can i do to achieve the uvmap layout that i want without having to separate the 2 pieces and combining them when uv-wrapping is done?

Thanks

- Skalman

edit:just noticed the upper-left window (right part) isnt finished yet. it is soon user added image user added image

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^

Last edited by Skalman; 16-09-2013 at 07:16 PM.
# 2 20-09-2013 , 10:42 AM
Hmm, I'm not pro in uv myself, but I think you don't need points to be joined like that at the bottom of the roof. I think creating one plane mesh on bottom as on the top is enough. Because your creating extra faces when you don't need them. To align cut of the pole to the roof, just use cut faces tool from side or front perspective.
Maybe someone can explain better.

# 3 20-09-2013 , 11:18 AM
Lifetime Member
The first thing you need to understand is that cutting UV's does not cut the vertex in your model so you can have several UV shells on one combined model.One way to separate out the pieces is to simply select only the faces you want to UV.
Your Uv's look to be unwrapped Okay except you need to separate one side from the other so they do not overlap.
To fix the corners you need to cut the UV's on the diagonal corners.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 4 02-10-2013 , 07:18 AM
thanks alot for the reply i think i get the idea of this now user added image i am very new to layout out uv's .. user added image

Do you think i layed out the uv's correctly with my window mesh? My checker texture kinda goes crazy at the corner of the window, is that okay? cuz i belive if i wanted to i'd be able to apply a good texture to the uv's layed out as they are right now. but as i said im new and i dont know much about this yet.

thanks
skalman

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^

Last edited by Skalman; 02-10-2013 at 07:21 AM.