Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 28-07-2015 , 06:27 PM

Keyframing/Animating the Point Lock Paramater with Hair

Hi all!

Sorry if this is in the wrong place as I am new here. I have a question:

How can you animate the Point Lock attribute on a hair follicle/change its value at a certain frame. I'm trying to change it from BothEnds to NoAttachabout 30 frames into my simulation for a number of curves in my scene.

I'm sure its possible as it says this on the Autodesk Site:

"Point Lock
This specifies where the hair is attached relative to the start position. You can constrain the base (like a normal hair), both ends (like a rope attached at either end) or with no attachments (the hair will fall like a loose string that is dropped). You can animate this parameter to detach a hair during a simulation."

But I can't for the life of me find out how to do it anywhere on Guggle.

Cheers,

Raf

# 2 28-07-2015 , 07:44 PM
EduSciVis-er
In the attribute editor, simply right click on the words Point Lock and choose Set Key. But if you want to do this for many follicles, then a better way is to select all the follicles, open the attribute spreadsheet, and go to the Shape Keyable tab, then select all the cells that say BothEnds, then Key > Key selected. Then go to your new time, type No Attach, then Key > Key selected again.

# 3 28-07-2015 , 08:17 PM
Thanks very much! Method worked nicely. End result not what I wanted in the simulation but hey ho!