Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 25-09-2004 , 07:08 PM

Help on subdivisions and texturing

Hello, I finsihed my elephant model and I have problem with texturing it!
I was working with polys then converted it to subdiv to get some details, but if I convert it back to polys to texture it I will loose all the fine details I made in subdiv.
So, is ther any way to make UV map in polys and use it for subdiv.
Here you can download image of my model since I dont know how to pu it in my thread.
Any sugestion on how would you map this model is wellcome(what kind of mapping would you use for head, body, legs..), or you can criticize the model it self!!!
Bye!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 25-09-2004 , 09:01 PM
Technical Director
Nice model.

To convert go to Modify>Convert>Subd to polys>option box.

Set it to Verticies. Then select the same level as you did with your fine detailing.

Then click convert.

Texture it, and then convert it back to subd's. Hope this helps!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 26-09-2004 , 11:03 AM

subdiv.

I'm back...

I tried n I tried but still I'm loosin all the small, fine details,all the vertices I pulled just too kill flatness on the model are gone!
Too bad that I didn't noticed the "keep UVs" chekbox when I was converting polys to subdiv.So I could map it in polys and then swich to subdiv. and than model some details...so still, is there another way or...!? :-(
By the way I tried selecting the vertices box but if I want to keep the details I have to increase the level to 3 or 4 wich will give me hi res. poly wich, as you know, it's impossible to texture.
I'm not quite sure how to texture the head since there will be many overlapping faces,so if anybody got an idea I would really loved to "hear" it.

Sorry for english! :-)

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 26-09-2004 , 11:49 AM
UMM maybe i'm missing the point here but why don't u just layout the subdiv surfaces UV's and texture them? why do u need to convert them back to polys?. and if u are going to convert to polys texture it and then convert back to subdiv's then it doesn't matter if u lose a little detail on the poly model because u r not going to lose detail on the texture when u convert back to subdivs

um if i'm talkin a loada rubbish then tell me

# 5 26-09-2004 , 03:26 PM
Maybe..I dont know...honestly I had never mapped under the subdiv so I dont know how layout UVs works!
I am very used to poly technique of modeling and texturing, I had never been in situation to map in subdiv cuz I find it easier to do that in polys.
I was using Max till month ago so I am pritty much new to SubDivs! It's a nice piece of toolary to give a smooth details to your model...
So, you say that I texture it in polys than convert it to subDiv and do every detail from beginning, or use UVs layout in SubDiv?
How does UVs layout work?

# 6 26-09-2004 , 04:17 PM
well you can use either one. There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods. If you are going to texture the poly model and then convert to subdivs you have to be aware that you may end up with parts of the texture looking very clear cut (with lots of edges) but it's easy enough to simply edit your texture and reload it. Laying out uv's can be a tricky thing at first but here goes...

okay if you have a polymodel, (you must select the model you want to layout first) in the modelling menu set select edit polygons>texture and you will have a range of different options. if you select the option box next to automatic mapping you have two main options to choose from 1) less distortion and 2) fewer pieces. Choose which one you want and click project.

now if you open up the UV texture editor by selecting panels>panel>UV texture editor you should see several shapes of your model, in here you can cut and paste your UV's in a way that makes it easy to texture (if you need help with that then ask me). then if you go to polygons>uv snapshot and save the image you will have a snapshot of those UV's.

Then what you can do is go into something like photoshop open your snapshot (don't forget where you saved the snapshot) and create a new layer to paint on and then if you delete the snapshot layer and save that file as a texture then you can load that texture as your colour file, it will map it in the way that the snapshot is arranged. This just one particular method of mapping there are others but this offers the best arrangement without distorting too much for begginners.

There are ways of selecting particular groups of UV's and texturing each group seperately but that would take too long to explain. The same things apply for subdiv UV layouts as well. Hopefully that has helped if you are totally confusedd buy all of this then ur best bet is to have a look on maya's help it tends to be pretty good at explaining things.

# 7 26-09-2004 , 09:50 PM
Hi!

I know how to use UV texture editor with polys, but I just wanted to know how different is from texturing in subdiv.But thanks for you time.
Well I decided to do everything from the start, but another problem showed up in the end, just when I thought that all I have left is painting the texture. I put different shader for different faces and the problem is that the snapshot shots everything inside 0,+1.0 UV cordinates,so if I want to shot different parts separatly I have to move them inside pozitive value of UVs (0,+1), even though I hide all faces beneath it still shots all the faces!

Sorry for bothering you!

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 28-09-2004 , 02:47 PM
what you can try doing is moving the faces that you don't want to use outside of the 0,+1 range and keep the rest in. I'm not sure if that works but it should do because the snapshot only looks at the 0,+1 range and nothing else. Give it a go and let me kno how it goes

# 9 28-09-2004 , 04:55 PM
I found the way and the key is in layout UVs box by setting separate to off, unchek Flip Reversed and Rotate For Best Fit and layout to none!
Finaly my poor elephant will get some textures!!!

Thanks for discussion :-)