Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 17-09-2004 , 04:12 AM

My first real project

I've been strictly a 2d artist for years but since I've taken the plunge into 3d a few months back I'm totally hooked (like a junky)

I just want to thank the people here for providing such a creator friendly and inspiring site! I learn something new or learn to ask better questions about my work every time I log on. And the tutorials? Forgetaboutit ... best on the net!

Thank you everyoneuser added image

I've spent WAY too much time changing and rearranging this model but I learned tons in the process. Comments encouraged ...
user added image
user added image

Dave

# 2 17-09-2004 , 06:30 AM
Subscriber
Thats really nice. I like the eyes. When you move in to textureing it will really sing.. Looks great now so it will work even better with textures. All that time spent really payed off !!!

# 3 17-09-2004 , 07:21 AM
Subscriber
Very nice. Your effort shows.

t3

# 4 17-09-2004 , 02:20 PM
Yeah, nice work, it is really coming along nicely indeed. Keep it up swankymonkey. user added image

# 5 17-09-2004 , 08:13 PM
Hey, thanks for the nice comments!

The eyes are the only thing I've attempted to texture in 3d so far. I also put a poly hemisphere behind the iris with a red and black ramp on its incandescence setting. The pupils dilate with blendshapes.

Laying out UVs on this head is gonna suck I'm afraid. I haven't really done it before so I imagine it will be a slow grind with a few interesting twists and turns.

I do have a question about blendshapes if anyone cares to comment. If I'm planning on attaching this to a torso do I have to wait until I have all that geometry built to set up the blendshapes on the face? The books I have and the Maya docs don't seem to mention anything, but I'm assuming the modeling has to be %100 complete before building blendshapes.

Dave

# 6 18-09-2004 , 12:56 AM
Subscriber
unfortunately yes normally. A lot of people if they can get away with it keep the head separate from the body. Buy having a necklace or something, Clothing etc. Helps conserve ram. Although there are some ways to get around that so I hear. The reason for waiting is mostly because if you make changes close to where your blend shapes are it could mess up the vertex order, thus fubar the blend shape. So for most its just easier to wait till the model is done and they are rigging.

# 7 23-09-2004 , 04:40 AM
Just a little update.

Still LOTS of edges to add and tweak. I'm going for a lean and stylized look.

I have a question about modeling veins. Should I use geometry or a bump/displacement map?

user added image

Dave

# 8 25-09-2004 , 06:45 AM
I'm probably gonna stop on the torso for now and start on roughing out the forearms and modeling the hands.

I haven't used any refs on the body which I can now definately say is not the way to do things.

Better to spend a half an hour drawing then 2 hours tweaking (so sayeth the Lord)user added image

user added image

Dave

# 9 25-09-2004 , 08:08 AM
Subscriber
exactly about references..

looking good. Know your going stylised some what. I but I think it might look better with the cavical's being not so prominet. Its looking musculer right now.. great.. but being able to see the cavicals that well meens more that he's skinny than is strong.

great going still though. wanting to see more and more..

# 10 25-09-2004 , 11:09 AM
very nice. looks very clean especially for a first real proj.

"Whatever tomorrow brings I'll be there...with open arms, and open eyes" - Incubus
# 11 25-09-2004 , 04:36 PM
Thanks guys!

I completely agree with you Pony. I've been chipping away at the neck and upper chest area quite a bit up to this point. I actually wanted him to be skinnier when I started but thats what happens when when you're just modeling outta your head and your mind changes game plans on you without asking first!

I'm going to work up some refs to help hammer out the rest of the torso as well as the rest of the figure.

Thanks again

Does anyone have an opinion on modeling veins?

Dave