Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 10-06-2003 , 09:18 AM
Subscriber

June Challenge - Axel - Normal

I am going to participate for the first time - don't know if I am a newbie or normal - you guys find out...

EDIT: I don't really like te spine around the wheel. Wanted to go for something like a turbine prop. Probably need some kind of mechanism on the back for stability... please comment

Attached Images

When the only tool you use is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a nail.

Last edited by Axel; 10-06-2003 at 09:38 AM.
# 2 10-06-2003 , 11:42 AM
Subscriber
what is it going to look like? what extreme things can it do?

# 3 10-06-2003 , 11:52 AM
Subscriber
i'ts one half of what I first thought should be a lava prober. the wheels should also function as a kind of paddle ... then I wanted to attach some all terrain feature and got kind of unsure whether this whole thing can "float" on the lava. So I ended up with a amphibian vehicle user added image
I want to combine something like a back stabilizer to also function as a rudder.
...and still thinking....user added image

When the only tool you use is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a nail.
# 4 11-06-2003 , 01:37 AM
Subscriber

WIP

Here some wireframes:
started with NURBS cyl, lofting CV curves, tangent for the wheels -
the cabin should be able to close (hydraulics), mainly NURBS with some planars and lofting -
the leg is partly Polys, partly NURBS; didn't want to use too much trim and fillet...
still working on a back rudder/stabiliser...
any comment very wellcome - THX

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 11-06-2003 , 02:21 AM
Subscriber
that looks really really kewl so far, are those screenshots using the xray shading selected? ( i will be stealing that for my posts user added image)

and being a nurbs newbie... what the heck is tangent?

# 6 11-06-2003 , 02:52 AM
Subscriber
yeah, dude, xray - i like it, too.
a (projected) tangent does nothing else but using a selected surface to alter the shape of a curve. as i am damn bad in explaining this i attached u a pict.. i'm shure some other guys can explain you this better....or select the help under Edit Curves -> Project Tangent -> Opt

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 11-06-2003 , 03:03 AM
Subscriber
ooohhh. I am trying it now! tanx.

# 8 25-06-2003 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber
Unfortunately I have to drop out of the challenge - got some work in Europe.
I am looking forward be back in August's challenge again.
CU guys...

EDIT: btw: howard's ballon is definetely my favorite in this month's challenge

Last edited by Axel; 25-06-2003 at 01:16 AM.