Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 24-08-2012 , 03:10 PM

maya 2013/MentalRay would not use the .map texture at render time

hi guys

just wondering anyone tried using maya 2013/MR to render with the optimised texture(the converted .map textures in sourceimage/cache)

i have done some tests on this issue, and kind of confirm that my maya 2013/MR would not utilise the .map textures at render time, whereas in maya 2009/MR, i can clearly see the render progress indicates that the .map textures are being used at render time; plus, with maya 2009/MR, i can see obvious memory drops when batch render with the optimised textures.

can anyone tell me why maya 2013/MR would not use the .map textures? or did i mis some new setting somewhere with 2013?

cheers

# 2 26-08-2012 , 08:33 AM
hey guys,

i just did some batch render tests on maya 2013/MR, i am super pleased with what maya 2013/MR will do now

i got a scene which i hav been working on from maya09. its so big that its got tons of textures and alphas, and its heavily render layered. despite almost all possible efforts have been made to optimise the scene, the render layer that s got numbers of characters in, and with ray tracing on, will still go into slow-thinking-batch-render mode with maya 09/MR .

but when i took the same file and batch render in maya13/MR, sweet time flies, my MR batch renders my heavy layers with characters like chopping spring onions, one chop tightly after another finished.

here i shall express my sincere appreciation to autodesk for making maya better

right, back to the topic problem, now that i hav found out the biggest reason to render using maya13/MR, i just hav to figure out why maya13/MR would not use the .map texture. otherwise, my render machines, which only got 2G ram for each, would go crash when batch render

any enlightment would be appriciated

# 3 26-08-2012 , 09:01 AM
The thin red line
Try the "update optimized texture button now" in your rending preferences.......dave

# 4 26-08-2012 , 12:29 PM
already done that, i even did new scene tests, conclude the same

i was thinking could it be some bizzare win7 admin reason or sys variables setting thats preventing MR from reading the .map location

anyway, thx for reply tho