Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 19-12-2005 , 11:21 PM
Subscriber

Perfume bottle

Hi Guys, I wanted to experiment a little with glass and decided to model a weird glass perfume bottle my wife has. The modeling took very little time, but as I expected the redering, and getting the look I wanted right is taking lots of fine tuning/time. This scene has 3 spot lights, rendered in MR, Ray traced, with no acoustics yet. It is still missing the liquid inside. To get all the artifacts out I had to use some pretty crazy quality settings which is what made the current render you see take the 2+ hours it took. With acoustics on I'll have to leave it running overnight. I am still not happy with it, but it is getting there. C&C pls user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 20-12-2005 , 08:11 AM
Subscriber
beautiful
great job!!!

# 3 20-12-2005 , 09:21 PM
Subscriber
Looks nice. I'm no render expert but I don't believe a render should take 2 hours for glass lol.

At least I wouldn't want mine to take 2 hours.

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 4 21-12-2005 , 07:45 AM
pfiuuu!!! nice taste !

# 5 21-12-2005 , 09:44 AM
very nice user added image it'd be nice to see a brighter scene

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 6 21-12-2005 , 07:09 PM
Subscriber
thx for the comments. You are right about the render being a bit dark. I'll make it brighter, bump up the ambient value of the wall's shader or add some more lights.

As to why the rendering is taking so long...it has to do with Ray tracing, having so many transparent surfaces (outer glass, inner glass, plastic tube) reflecting/refracting off each other, and having such high (actually low) sampling quality values to get smooth reflections/refractions without artifacts. Anyways, i'll add an update once the fluid is added.

# 7 14-03-2006 , 09:09 PM
Subscriber
I have been playing a bit with this lately and i have learned quite a lot in the process about reflections and refractions (maps, limits, etc). How to make rendering more efficient to achieve good results and a bunch of other stuff...this last render only took 5 mins with Mental Ray and FG/HDRI on. Learned tons of tricks. Anyways, I am pretty happy with this. Just as an FYI there is an outer crystal, an inner crystal, the liquid material and the tubing. All transparent.

Attached Thumbnails