Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 17-08-2007 , 06:32 PM
Subscriber

maya 2008

Autodesk suggested retail pricing is US$1,999* for Maya 2008 Complete (Standalone) and US$6,999* for Maya 2008 Unlimited (Standalone). The upgrade price from Maya 8.5 Complete to Maya 2008 Complete is US$899*, and the upgrade price from Maya 8.5 Unlimited to Maya 2008 Unlimited is US$1,249*.

from autodesk web site.

so, any thoughts. Im finding it hard to keep up with the speed of maya versions. I just read about it. pretty amazing stuff. Max 2008 has been released too, or it was there on the web page. not called versions any more.., now its '2008.' what happens when they release another new maya in some months from now ( excuse my assumption).., will it be called 'maya 2008, may?'

take it easy and life will be easy
# 2 17-08-2007 , 06:59 PM
# 3 17-08-2007 , 09:26 PM
Subscriber
i hate the fact taht they keep updating so soon, i mean why dont they wait 2 maybe 3 years before they do it. i just upgraded to maya 8 now i'm hearing they're going to update again

# 4 17-08-2007 , 09:37 PM
Jr.Who
I really don’t know why people complain so much. They’ve updated it every year since 2003, and now you start whining? Would you rather want them to not update it, and make it better? user added image

On the naming, big companies like Apple and Microsoft use the year naming too. Why are people so offended by it?

# 5 17-08-2007 , 09:57 PM
Got to agree, the naming convension dosent bother me in the slightest, its a name, thats it.

As for updates, there pretty frequent, this update is faster, supports multicore processors, better, faster, cloth simulations, more tools etc etc, all the better to be honest, Id rarther have updates to take into consideration the change in technolgys. Although theres no huge changes (such as neucleus being rolled out for the whole dynamics set) it does seem a decent update.

I think that you'll always get naysayers with updates.

Its not as if you have to upgrade neither, if youve got the money and/or are a platinum member then go for it, if not then theres not need to worry, I'm pretty sure that I would be happy using maya 6 (which I started with) as the software can do a hell of a lot more than my skill level can.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 17-08-2007 , 11:54 PM
I'm not opposed to updates if they've got something new to add, but when they do it every year because it's 'time' to release a new version - that makes me suspicious, especially when the upgrade is so expensive. It's like iTunes - every month they release a new version and I find it hard to believe that they aren't aware of the changes they are going to make well in advance.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not against improving the software - I'm all for that, but the cynical side of me can't help but feel like they are milking the users a little... 'we'll release the new cloth system with this version, but lets hold off on the new blah blah, so we have something to release with version 2009....'

# 7 18-08-2007 , 12:13 AM
I think that new upates are good but they shouldnt necessarily be major update versions in short timespans. Whats up with having a couple of point releases through the year (or over two years) that add in nice functionality and fix bugs but doesnt require you to fork out another upgrade cost?
Maybe its because lots of software come with fixes and updates for free as standard nowadays and we've got used to it and expect it across the board?
There's always a fine line between new features and profitability but with most major pieces of software the profitability will always be there looming in the background ready to take over when needed. I'm guessing Autodesk will want to minimise the costs of the takeover and maximise profits to show that it has been worth it to the shareholders.

Think I'll sit on the fence and think over it some more before loving or hating the update question user added image

EDIT: as another question I wonder what people think Autodesk's long term strategy is for getting students and hobbyists into 3D? With such a big catalog of software do they try and channel people certain ways so that they can sell lots of one type of software or do they leave it ambiguous so that it is up to the colleges and schools to make that decision for the students?
Just a thought

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net

Last edited by t1ck135; 18-08-2007 at 12:15 AM.
# 8 18-08-2007 , 12:46 AM
Good point Si,

To me Maya is almost priced out for hobbyists, if you think how much unlimited is for maya.Then again maybe they are thinkning more of a hobbyist to use freeware, like blender as thats gaining ground, dunno really to be honest.

I think that maya is more studio orientated in the way that it pretty much is open ended, i.e studios can write plug ins and customise it.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 25-08-2007 , 12:09 AM
Subscriber
I think the number of updates is because its their new baby. 90% of the staff working on maya now are new (from version 8 when autodesk took over) and are finding their way with it.

I have said many times that I love what they have done with it so far (well apart from that dragging modeling crap) and after looking at some videos of what 2008 has got in store I think I`m going to like that as well (although not too happy with the new box thing)

they have so far fixed cloth, uvmapping and rigging all they need to do is make hair better and I`ll be happy.

I`m lucky as I`ll be getting the update for free as my last job paid for my copy of maya for my laptop with the prem membership (and they are not getting it back) and I`d checked and I can get it. But I think this is the last one.

as for the students every retailer for autodesk offer student rates for the software so don`t see the big deal with the amount the full thing costs. Shame it cant be said about the hobbyists though, well there is always the P.L.E.

# 10 25-08-2007 , 01:09 AM
Subscriber
its the cost that amazes me..?? they are not milking hobbists.., they have been thrown out.., they are milking the production houses.., and such a price for these new features.., yes I think they know well in advance .., probably up to maya 2010..?? user added image (the naming doesnt worry me.., it all a bit of a joke really)

you who stick up for auto desk and the world of big business and high finance.., god bless you.., because autodesk wont!

# 11 25-08-2007 , 01:39 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by tweetytunes
…they have so far fixed cloth, uvmapping…

What did they do new with UV mapping? user added image

# 12 25-08-2007 , 02:35 AM
Subscriber
'all they need to do is make hair better and I`ll be happy.'

that'll be maya 2008 may.., or maya 2009! or by then it'll be called 'maya 3D max!' (i never believed, as auto desk claimed, that they wouldn't do it.., i mean what.., they brought the company for us?! sorry Im not that nieve or Im a bit more cynical. its just a name now.

(just kicking around some thoughts, setting the foxes amongst the chickens, generally stirring.., obviously animation and modelling is not my strong point, Im just one of the hobbyists.)

I realize for some this is very serious which is why I brought up this point in the first place.., I dont see after effects being updated 3 times a year.., i mean really.., this is unprecedented.., and the cost is..??

what is more.., there is not a thing anyone can do about it except pay up if you want to keep in front or just plain competitive.

I agree with steve in that.., it may as well be version 4 for me because my skill doesnt warrent anything past that.

none the less, i love maya.

# 13 25-08-2007 , 04:50 AM
Jr.Who > 'I really don’t know why people complain so much. They’ve updated it every year since 2003, and now you start whining? Would you rather want them to not update it, and make it better? On the naming, big companies like Apple and Microsoft use the year naming too. Why are people so offended by it?'

I like updates. But tweaking the code to make a few things run a bit faster and selling the 'new' version for a few grand does not justify calling it Maya 2008. If they made an upgrade major enough that will give Maya cutting edge tools then I'll support it. Anyways, you have to doubt Autodesk's commitment to Maya. With two apps competing for the same place, they are probaly only going to dump one if they feel they can't make a 10,000% profit from it.

Names are very important. I chose Maya not becuase it was one of the more sensible 3d apps around but becuase I agree with the philosphy behind the name. Calling the new version of Maya 2008 makes it sound less sensible. Autodesk did it to probaly make people buy a new version every year so they can make more money. You can imagine someone next year saying "You use Maya 2008? That's like so last year!" to someone who uses an older version.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 14 25-08-2007 , 05:06 AM
Subscriber
they just brought 'opicore' some such huge company.., specializing in 3D for the auto (car) business.., obviously auto desk arnt short of a dollar.., and while people just bow down to this behavior, which to me is obviously nothing more than big business (reminds me of when the music business was taken out of the hands of those who loved it.., the musicains and put in the hands of lawyers0) we can all count our selves to sleep at night.., one sheep, two sheep, three sheep..,

i mean we all have an opinion!