Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 29-06-2005 , 08:53 PM

Vertices Crossing over when Merging Edges

Hi Guys,

I'm modeling a human female and attaching a hand to the forearm, I've done this many times before on other models... but for some reason this time when I go to Merge Edges after a Combine, some of the edges do not appear as available to merge.

When I do try to merge two edges that appear as though they should perfectly align, they merge, but the vertices cross over and I get a pinching effect. Anyone ever encounter this or have an idea for a solution?

Both pieces of geometry both have 14 edges, and I've aligned all the vertices so that they are close. I've deleted history, even tried exporting the body and hand separtely and then re-importing them together. This is kind of frustrating user added image

!MasterFool

# 2 29-06-2005 , 09:13 PM

Odd Edges

Here is an image of what I was talking about:

Attached Thumbnails

!MasterFool
# 3 29-06-2005 , 09:15 PM

The Crossing Vertices

Here is the other image:

Attached Thumbnails

!MasterFool
# 4 29-06-2005 , 10:47 PM
Subscriber
select the faces of the hands and go to edit poly>reverse normal.

# 5 30-06-2005 , 03:10 AM

YESSS!!!

Thanks Alot Vladimir!!! :attn:

That was bugging me, ya know, I got thinking that it might be the normals earlier, but I never tried it, don't know why... definately have to stop second guessing myself... that, and I never had the time to test it out.

Wonder how the normals got reversed...

Oh well, now I'll know what to do if this happens again. Could you tell from the image that it was the normals?

Thanx Again,

!MasterFool
# 6 11-07-2005 , 08:21 PM

Reversed Normals

Hey Guys,

In case anyone didn't know, I just found this out. If you turn on BackFace Culling on your geometry, you'll see it inverse if your Normals are reversed. This makes sense now that I've tried it out, but I didn't think to try it.

Hope this helps,

!MasterFool