Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 03-05-2005 , 01:33 PM

Technique Advice

Hey Guys,

Just looking for some advice on how to approach a scene that i have in my 3d short film that i'm currently working on. In my scene I have these "airbags" that inflate. I'm wondering exactly how I might create this effect in 3D. Not too sure what would be best for this. The airbags need to be able to respond to movement for example if someone was to sit on them or push them out of the way.

Thanks for any help.

msn: great_expanse AT hotmail.com
# 2 03-05-2005 , 03:46 PM
im not quite sure how to "inflate" geometry in maya, however to "push' the airbags out of the way you can apply and key a series of deformers that can shape the geometry to your liking...just a thought, im really no expert but i hope that helped.

...to inflate the airbag...i was thinking of stitching pieces of "cloth" together and applying an airfield to force them outwards.

-e-

# 3 03-05-2005 , 09:59 PM
Subscriber
a softbody would probably be great for this. I would model it in its resting state of being balloned out. Make it a soft body with a copy for a goal. I think thin you can fold up up the soft. When you animate it just take the coal weight from 0 up to something like 50 or more. this will expand it.. and should also let deformations happen on it.. like someones body pressed in to it. It will not be posible for it to push the bodys away buy its self though. Maya dons't have that kind of non-liners like that. You can just key the people going back or use a fild of some type that you put near the center of the bag, use it on the people. Also to add spice or realisom to the bag comeing out if your going to do some slow motion you can add some air fields and or turbulances to the bag's softbody as its unfolding.

I think this might work.

Good to see ya around Niobi

# 4 07-05-2005 , 08:02 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. Has really helped me decided on how I might go about achieving this effect.

Pony - its good to be back. I shall be posting some of work up soon in the wips that i'm doing for my show reel so I should be around more often now.

msn: great_expanse AT hotmail.com