Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 05-05-2007 , 10:17 AM
Subscriber

Question about PolyCount for Games

hey guys just another question from me...

im curious though how big are the poly counts for small buildings such as mine which i have just made? atm this building is only 4500(faces/poly), is that considered to be Low-Poly or High-Poly? roughly how much does it gotta be to be a low/high poly building ...

another question is that, in games ... do all models have to be all triangular? or can they have 4-sides etc etc ...

thanks for reading,

Marlon J

user added image

# 2 05-05-2007 , 10:29 AM
Subscriber
I'm not sure regarding the limits as they would vary depending on engine capability/type of game (fps,mmoprg etc), though I think the building could be optimised lots by keeping the faces of the building flat and using bump or normal maps for the windows and corner columns, and the perimater on the top level could be a plane with an alpha map. It all depends on how close the camera is going to be to the details whether a bump/normal map would suffice and whether the building is a 'prop' or scene filler or is actually functional. And everything is triangulated in a game engine, no quads whatsoever. Hope some of this is useful user added image

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.