Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 28-01-2009 , 04:06 PM

Graphics Card And freezes

Hi

Can anyone tell me a good graphics card for working with Maya 2008, I have an Nivdia Gefore 8600 GT but it does not handle textures very well.

I have searched the net and people seem to have loads of problems, most people seem to say Maya doesn’t support consumer cards, my question is how high and how much do I need tp spend before, I know providing everything else work well I won’t have any more graphic card problems.

I am not a rich man my any means, I would rather save up seven or eight hundred and get a card that works rather then spending four hundred now and seven or eight hundred in six months time.

Also I am hoping to attach a project I am doing of an electric scooter which freezes every time I smooth the front light housing an idea why?

Thanks
Trikeman

# 2 28-01-2009 , 04:45 PM
Subscriber
I also have that card, I get occasional update errors and in particular it doesn't seem to like running image sequences inside of maya.

I have heard the nVidia Quadro range are good for Maya. The best thing to do is head over to the Autodesk website as they have a list of 'authorised' graphics cards that defiently work well with Maya and other products.

Chris

# 3 29-01-2009 , 12:37 PM
Thanks for that Chris, can anyone tell me why on a new project I am doing the onjects don't show up right i.e. I am getting objects behind showing up in front and lots of light and dark blocks, which led me to think about the graphics card but when I load a project I did a year of so ago it is fine?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Trikeman

# 4 31-01-2009 , 07:07 AM

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 5 31-01-2009 , 10:25 AM
Thank you for that, if fact it was the fact I had set the near cliping plane to .001 and onecs I brought it back to 0.1 all was well, however read up on your link just made it a bit clearer.

Thanks again
Trikeman