Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 01-03-2004 , 11:02 PM
Subscriber

March/April - Lonepig - Normal

Interesting one, a nice challange for me as i've done no scene modelling before.

I'm playing around with the idea of a neo-classial romanesque theme with a steam/clockwork powered bladerunner twist. If that makes any sense.
Will post some sketches tomorrow when i've had a bit more time.

# 2 05-03-2004 , 07:47 PM
Subscriber
Still working on sketchs but thought i'd start modeling some of the components I know i'm going to include.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 05-03-2004 , 08:24 PM
Cool, that looks killer so far!

Lungs not guns....
# 4 05-03-2004 , 08:51 PM
I like the steps on your scaffolding. I have something similar on mine im working on but yours came out a little better(time to redo mine). Are you going to make a railing on it too?

# 5 05-03-2004 , 09:43 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Strobe. Yeah Twisted i'm gona put hand rails and either a few wire guard wires or a guard mesh aswell. It did take a few runs to get it how I wanted with this result thou.

I'm working on the lower halve just now to get the roma-industrial feel. Some nice arches and pillars, similar idea as the colloseum.

www.snipersupplies.co.uk
# 6 05-03-2004 , 10:12 PM
Phew am I glad you're doing normal user added image... Looking good mate!

# 7 06-03-2004 , 03:16 PM
Subscriber
Just a quick update, some pillars added to the bast of the watertower. I might add a second level but haven't decided yet.

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 06-03-2004 , 03:31 PM
Subscriber
nice detail... user added image

[SIZE=1.5]They say if you keep on trying, its good exercise.....lol[/SIZE]
# 9 06-03-2004 , 09:36 PM
Hey Man, doing great, although I was expecting something more mystical then roman greek architetonial structures user added image perhaps you'll add your sense of mystique over the time user added image.... Anyways you're doing great mate!

# 10 08-03-2004 , 01:42 PM
the archyways really dont fit in with the style of the tower thing. They also look like you've just stuck them on there without thinking about them. If anything I would shorten the tower and place it onto of those things and then have pipes and stuff running out of the bottom of the tower into the ground or wherever...

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 11 09-03-2004 , 02:39 AM
I agree with pure. The tower looks industrial age style then the pillars are ancient greek style... very disruptive to the flow.

Anyway. Youll have to choose and stick to a style. its hard to mix them effectively.

I suggest sticking with the industrial like style. as its different... too many roman/greek themes.

# 12 09-03-2004 , 12:24 PM
Subscriber
Yeap, I’m agree with Pure_Morning & Twisteddragon.
You can’t mix the two stiles… industrial & ancient architecture…simply they don’t fit.
So my opinion is to stay on one style.
Anyway the model is ok
I’m waiting for updates

Cheers

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" A.Einstein
# 13 09-03-2004 , 03:17 PM
I'm not sure whether I agree or not with that, mixing things to get a great inbalance can be a great arch. style, but I don't think you intended to do that user added image

# 14 09-03-2004 , 10:30 PM
The best way to mix them is to have them seperated somehow. Such as the "Old" section of the city with roman-esque buildings and such. The "New" section with nindustrial like factories. The areas where they are boardering could have slight mixes of both. Nothing major.

# 15 15-03-2004 , 10:09 AM
Oh, something came to mind... Has anyone ever played the game: civilizations III? I remember that there was a cool intro; a tower with an architectral level for each of the human historical fases... Dang why didn't I begin on that :p