Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 19-11-2002 , 01:56 AM
Subscriber

Problem with my CD image transfer technique

Ok well, maybe it's not a technique like the topic suggests, but it's the way I get images onto this site. Here's what I always do.

Maya is on a computer without internet access, so I have to somehow get the image from that computer over to this one. Images cannot be saved as jpg or gif on this computer, so floppy disks are no use. I have been burning the images onto CDs, then taking the CD over to this computer, copying the image onto a new file that is in jpg format, then I post it on the site. The process isn't really as long as it seems, but anyway...

The problem is me burning the images onto the CDs. I can only use the same CD about 5 times and then I get an error when I try to burn another image onto it. It won't let me do it unless I pop another CD in. So far, I have gone through 3 CDs which only have like a meg of images on them. Is there a limit on the numer of times you can burn an image onto a CD or something? Do I have to register it to get a hidden lock off or something ?

# 2 19-11-2002 , 02:17 AM
Mate get yourself a RW (rewritable) burner, that should take care of your problems .. since Cds are designed for one use only. Cd-RW are designed to be multisession .. so you shouldn´t have problems with them.

Last edited by adldesigner; 19-11-2002 at 02:27 AM.
# 3 19-11-2002 , 02:25 AM
Subscriber
So that's the difference between the two types of CDs. I always wondered that. Thanks again.

# 4 19-11-2002 , 02:27 AM
Subscriber
You shold be able to do a lot of burning sessions with one cd, if you are simply filling it up and not trying to overwrite it.

Maybe there the cd/burn-software for some reason close the cd, due to an option in one of your menus.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 5 19-11-2002 , 04:44 AM
Subscriber
I think what you are doing is using direct cd?
If tou use this method and copy them then delete them in the other computer you still have eaten up space on the disk and cant be written to that sector again (write once read many)

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 6 19-11-2002 , 04:47 AM
Subscriber
ok. Well, to save space I'm going to ask one more question while this thread is up. (I hate making multiple threads) How much money does it take to get VIP access in US dollars? To join, would I have to send the money through some transfer thing to convert it from Dollars to Euros? I REALLY want to join.

# 7 19-11-2002 , 05:51 AM
https://www.xe.com/ucc/
Here you go ...

I believe you can pay with Credit Card also, so it automatically deducts the amount needed. (That´s how I did anyway)
On the details of money transfer, you´d have to contact Kevin. They´ll help you for sure.

# 8 19-11-2002 , 09:54 AM
can't save jpg or gif?

You should be able to save it as a jpg after you do a render.

Render View > File > Save Image - Select jpg from drop down box.

# 9 20-11-2002 , 05:05 AM
Subscriber
Thanks adldesigner.

schmick - I have a habit of pressing Alt + Print Screen to copy the monitor image, then pasting it onto a microsoft paint file. Then I save it. I usually do this because I don't always take pictures of renders. Sometimes the image looks better on my computer when I don't render it.