Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 121 26-05-2006 , 07:04 AM
like the man said, he'll be doing a lot of tweaking later on... i know what it feels like to do a project for so long... (although technically i did enough for my 'sponsor' to see progress even though i worked on it for like a day or so per week for 30 weeks - my senior thesis for my bfa in 3d animation)

when i worked on that project i was stuck with working in maya 3.0 cause it's all that was out at the time. there was no mental ray, no fluid effects, heck half the poly and nurbs tools out now (not to mention light and rendering options) even existed, and we had to do stuff the old-fashioned way... tweaking lights and reflections and ambience and there was no such thing as ambient occlusion and GI and HDRI... we had to light and texture from experience and knowledge instead of using a plugin or exterior plugin like zbrush we had to map our UVs accordingly and do the work ourselves without wacom tablets (plugins for photoshop were still in beta) in PS... i just started playing with maya 7.0 after saving up for a long time after getting the original 3.0 student version, and damn you guys are spoiled.

after watching the opening sequence i am able to say that the animation is pretty good, you've got some good ambient motion in your character, although people say it's a bit mechanical, i do believe that with tweaks you'll make it your own and it'll be great. i'd love to see how he ends up actually getting the diamond (or failing miserably as we see he praises many a movie based on heists and if you learn from those you're bound to fail in a hysterical way heh) so keep up the good work!

every time i turned in a proposal for an animation project in school they always said it was too 'ambitious', but for most ideas i was able to prove them wrong. if this little animation is for your thesis, then i say cheers. it's got the audience begging for more, and there's little that can be done besides spending a lot in advertising or whoring yourself linkwise that can accomplish what you did in just the animation alone.

as far as watching the animation, i've gotta say that the transitions in the home work better than i thought after seeing some textures, and that in most big budget productions they've got something ALWAYS moving... be it eyes, hair flowing, something in the background, etc. i feel you do this pretty well, but there seem to be some people that aren't comfortable with your character's movements... for this i would simply suggest acting out each scene, or at least imagine it in your head. if you were dangling from a rope would you eventually come to a standstill, or would the rope actually end up twisting you into a undesireable angle? perhaps instead of the thief trying to swing himself and the rope breaking, he tries to get himself into position but the rope keeps turning and he ends up facing the wrong way and falling on his face... it would go with him pulling on the plunger device and falling without the glass attached, and the extra rotating the character does would make the 'robotic' movements less noticeable without having to change more than you need to. the zipper on the bag, if you watch it enough times, works faster than his zipping motion, but once is enough. the eye isn't really fast enough to notice. i've gotta say that i DID notice that the poles around the diamond display had fallen down, maybe you could show that he fell in an awkward position and they just fell flat afterwards. it wouldn't take much animation-wise (downward movement in z, then maybe a quick thud animation), and then we know why the poles fell. hell it might get a laugh. but i go too far. we know you'll tweak it later, so these are just suggestions. as far as what i see, i'm still quite impressed. glad you posted the animation and hopefully after your (well deserved) hiatus we'll see an update! user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 122 26-05-2006 , 07:05 AM
wow i just re-read that, and damn i write too much. hope it helped, though. user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 123 26-05-2006 , 02:11 PM
Subscriber
No doubt, with more time on his hands, im sure he can fine tune the animation and i totally understand that he is on a strict deadline (iv been there too!)

Some more tips which i hope will help in future though when you decide to go back to it:

When he lands on the floor, he lifts himself off the floor with his fingertips. It doesnt look natural and he should lift off with the palm of his hands instead.

I would make his movements a bit faster as its a bit floaty.

I agree with neostrider on the bit where he's hanging from the rope. He wouldnt actually come to a complete standstill but there would be very minute movement; rotating and/or swinging from side to side. It may not be much but your audience will be able to notice little things like these!

Again, i apologise if i sound like im nagging and u probably have noticed these things yourself but if not i hope they will help you in future if u decide to go back to it!

user added image

# 124 26-05-2006 , 06:08 PM
Thanks everyone, man i'm getting a lot of replies.

Arfanahmed786 - Don't worry mate, I wasn't particularly happy with the animation in the film, and unfortunately I rushed the area that I wanted to spend the most time in. I agree with everything you say and don't take any offence to any of it, after all the main reason I joined this site was to receive criticism and as you said, we only improve based on our mistakes.

Neostrider - Dude that was one long post :bow:

You have some good ideas and lots of valid points there. Thanks for the advice.

Based on the incredible amount of replies and words of encouragement since I posted Version 1 user added image I am feeling a lot more motivated to finish this baby off. It would be nice to work on it as a hobby rather than for a deadline and I'm already taking ideas into account in areas to improve the film. The only animated section that I was really happy with was the section where the character is pulling on the glass case. It looks likely that most of the sections will be re-animated as I still think this idea has some scope.

It may be a while til my next progress update (we'll see how it goes) but I now feel obliged to finish this.

Again thanks everyone. :attn:

# 125 26-05-2006 , 06:56 PM
Subscriber
wow just now got to watch it ...very good ..I wish in my time I will at least come half as good as that ...very good ...

also sound was good ..had surround sound speakers and was first shocked when it came on lol ...had to turn down a bit lol ...

cant wait to see progress ..dont rush it though ..let it come to you ...true fans will wait if you know what I mean ...cant rush inspiration

user added image

# 126 28-06-2006 , 09:15 PM
Well, my degree is essentially finished now got a 2:1 :attn:

I also found out recently that I've been selected to show my work at a screening in the studios at MPC in soho (very chuffed at the mo).

Sorry for the lack of activity with the forum, my pc recently took a turn for the worst when my PSU blew up (whilst playing F.E.A.R, that was an unpleasant experience) and i've only just managed to sort things out.

For the MPC show i also had to knock together a quick showreel of my work which you can find at this thread.

Click Here

# 127 28-06-2006 , 09:38 PM
Subscriber
Congratulations on the 2:1, and what an opportunity to show your work at MPC! Hopefully they'll take notice of your work.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 128 28-06-2006 , 10:00 PM
Subscriber
congrats Rostoons ...wohooo ...now you are off to a great start ...hope to see you in movies soon ... user added image

# 129 28-06-2006 , 10:43 PM
i have no idea what a 2:1 is.

Accept no substitutions.
# 130 29-06-2006 , 06:57 AM
Subscriber
It's the second best mark you can get on a degree course in the UK. Not quite a first but better than a second.

# 131 29-06-2006 , 11:56 AM
Congrats on the 2:1 mate, just got my final uni result back too!

Back to uni again for me though!!

I'll have to check out your show reel later on as I'm at work at the moment. good luck at MPC.

# 132 29-06-2006 , 12:47 PM
Thanks guys

Think I may get back to some animation today, thinking of doing some quick animations with the character of the film to get a bit more practice in and to build up another showreel sometime down the line.

# 133 29-06-2006 , 08:25 PM

low cost 3d animation and visual effectsdegree

i need info on schools doing this :low cost 3d animation degree

# 134 30-06-2006 , 12:42 PM
Subscriber

Re: low cost 3d animation and visual effectsdegree

Originally posted by crazycobi
i need info on schools doing this :low cost 3d animation degree

if you find that let us all know. . .

congrats on the marks Rostoons. hard work, dedication and passion are what it takes. keep those things in mind and you will succeed.

hopefully you keep workin on this little project. besides this forum, there are film and animation festivals to think about completing this for. its a great start on what could be a really fun little short. the more people that see your work, the better off you will be. getting to show this in soho is a tremendous opportunity. take every advantage you can. talk to everyone and be humble, it will go very far.

# 135 30-06-2006 , 01:28 PM
Well done mate on your 2:1 and good luck on showing your work at MPC. Hope it goes well for you.
user added image