Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 13-06-2007 , 06:32 AM

Summer challange-Weyu

Modelling humans isnt my strongest side but I will give it a try. user added image

I've decided to make a pirate captain, I want to have him sitting in a wooden throne like chair in the captains cabin holding his sabre with a firm grip.

# 2 14-06-2007 , 12:14 AM

# 3 14-06-2007 , 02:51 AM
Subscriber
Nice start weyu. Most of the important features are in place. Hard to crit or comment before the rest is in and without topology shots.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 4 15-06-2007 , 04:10 AM

# 5 15-06-2007 , 04:17 AM
Am I the only person on this forum that doesn't know how to model a face. And, am I the only person that doesn't have ZBrush, hehe. Looks good so far, especially after you fix the spacing between the ears and the eyes like you said. Thanks also for posting your wire because it will help me out.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 6 15-06-2007 , 01:00 PM
19 year Veteran
I don't have Z brush, so that makes 2 of us. Oh, and VERY nice work Weyu!

# 7 16-06-2007 , 03:16 PM
Hehe thanks alot for the comments. user added image

Okey I've added the placeholder for the torso but then I realised that I needed to create the the chair thing so that I more easily could see how he will sit. Right now I need to add details at the top of the chair and I also need to texture it, I will try to give it an old withered look. user added image

https://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5.../uploadme4.jpg

# 8 17-06-2007 , 08:48 PM
19 year Veteran
I reccomend focusing on the character rather than the chair at this time.

# 9 24-06-2007 , 07:02 AM
I've been busy searching for a work, attending social events and being sick for some time now so I havent had that much time over, but I've gotten some work done during this time.

THX: Well I wanted to do the chair so I more easily could model out a siting man, and now I made the sword and hat so I can place out his arms.

The left arm will rest over the hat on the arm rest. I havent really decided how I will have the right arm yet. I'm thinging of either having him holding the sword so that it lies over his lap. Or having him holding the sword a bit more loosely so that the tip of the sword touches the ground.

And have in mind that only parts of the body will be visible so alot of areas were made fairly quickly, it is just a placeholder so that I more easily can create my clothes(It also gave some training). user added image

https://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5.../uploadme6.jpg

PS. The sword is in the sheath right now so thats why it looks a bit weird untextured. And all textures I make are made quick, I will put more work on them later. user added image

# 10 24-06-2007 , 09:13 AM
Subscriber
can I just ask - why are all the render at funny angles. Its just very strange when trying to look at the model.

# 11 24-06-2007 , 03:39 PM

# 12 30-06-2007 , 01:29 PM
Well now I've begun clothing him, so far I've added the gloves and the shirt. I will have a coat that covers most part of the white shirt but large parts of it will still be visible. The part that I'm most displeased with at the moment is the collar, I will try to fix that sharp edge later on.

Next I will model the pants, coat and the boots.

Crits and comments are most appreciated. user added image

https://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5.../uploadme8.jpg

# 13 30-06-2007 , 05:07 PM
Subscriber
Not bad not bad Weyu. A couple of things needs your attention. First, the head here is wider at the bottom of the face than it is above the nose. If you think of the bonestructure(skeleton) of a human skull you see where it's gone wrong.

The shoulderwidth to waste ratio is too much out of control. It's a good opportunity to fix up the armpit and shoulder area as well and see if you can make it look more relaxed and natural.

Thirdly, it'd be nice to add natural curvature to the overall anatomy as it's a little straight pipes looking now. Then again you're in the clothing process so it might change drastically within the next few days. Just something to be observant of.

Looking forward to what you're planning to add with the clothes now, and he's got an interesting majestic look going. Fit to be the captain. Good work and keep it up user added image

The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 30-06-2007 at 05:31 PM.
# 14 30-06-2007 , 05:29 PM
Subscriber
Edit

The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 13-07-2007 at 04:19 AM.
# 15 01-07-2007 , 06:46 AM
I will try to make the modifications, might be hard with the body tho. user added image