Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 28-12-2010 , 04:46 PM

Selection sets?

Hi folks!

I'm a Softimage and Cinema 4d user and I'm relatively new to Maya. I will give all of you some headaches with my newbie questions so sorry for thisuser added image

In softimage there is feature called cluster matarial for multi texturing a mesh's desired parts. In short, select some polygons and drag and drop a matarial into this polygon selection and you have a cluster matarial.
I excatly can do this in Maya and everyting is ok from here but how can I see what matarial assigned to what polygon selection later on? How can I reselect this polygon selection again?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks

# 2 28-12-2010 , 05:16 PM
Hey gaboraa,

If i undestood your problem correctly, Right click on the material in hypershade and select 'Select objects with material'. All the polygons with that material should get selected.

Mahesh

# 3 28-12-2010 , 08:35 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
Hey gaboraa, there is also another option to your question.

After you have all the faces selected on your mesh that you want to give that "certain" material goto Create > Sets > Quick Select Set. This will add all of those faces to this particular set, to go back and grab it just goto Edit > Quick Select Sets > then your set will be in there...it will be what ever you named it.

As far as I know you can make as many sets as you want, but I have never made more than 3 so I am not sure.

# 4 29-12-2010 , 02:04 PM
Thank you for all these extremely helpful answers. "Select objects with material" has done the trick. When you select objects with matarial, it automatically selects the polygon selection that was assign to this matarial.
Thanks again for your help and time.