Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-04-2003 , 06:30 PM

Update On Shadows and New Picture

The shadows have been worked out so here is the latest render. Any further comments on making this look more realistic is welcomed. Cheers.

# 2 10-04-2003 , 07:07 PM
Hello, Sardo

Excellent piece. All of it modelled by you?
If you allow me, I´ll post some tips which might be usefull to you.

To make the piece more realistic I think you should work on:
  • Lower your colors' saturation. (For example: the car's red is over saturated) This works also on the grass, and the sky.
  • Perhaps work on textures, instead of procedurals? (Particularly, the pavement)
  • Also, by the way the shadows cast, it seems it´s almost either morning or sunset, so you might want to enlarge them, and add a somewhat yellow tint to the light´s source.

I´ve added a small photomanip to illustrate a bit what I tried to explain you. (Before - After)

Regards, quite an imppresive study of outdoor lighting you've got going on there.

Last edited by adldesigner; 10-04-2003 at 07:41 PM.
# 3 10-04-2003 , 08:54 PM
I agree w/ adldesigner about the textures. There's really visible tiling. If it's a photo texture just take it into photoshop and use the offset tool to perfectly offset it and use the rubber stamp to get rid of the lines that show up. (ie if it's 256 x 256 set the offset to 128 x 128) That should help with the tiling. Another trick would be to make the pavement a layered texture and put a really big grime map w/ low opacity as the other texture. I think in general you could stand to add some grime to the image, it's really really clean right now. Instead of making the shadows perfectly black I would reduce the darkness by making it a little greyer. And finally i would make the stop sign thinner. It's pretty thick. If you don't have a grime map handy just find a texture that's pretty dirty looking, like rust or something, and convert to greyscale and clamp the levels in photoshop. So far so good user added image

# 4 10-04-2003 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber
you need to work on the road texture, and the grass needs a bit depth (looks very good tho)