Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 10-10-2011 , 09:48 PM
Lifetime Member

Quick way to find tris and ngons?

Okay so try as hard as I might I still end up with tris and multi ngons after hours of modeling trying my best to avoid them. I know I will get better with time anyways problem is where are they?

Does anyone know if there is a quicker way to see your modeling errors then having to look at every face and count the corners?

I don't think there are very many but how do you know when you've got them all? I don't know if there is something wrong with my HUD according to it even a brand new polycube has 12 tris. Is it because thats what it would breakdown to?

Thanks,

Jake

# 2 10-10-2011 , 09:53 PM
Yes, use mesh>cleanup and check faces with more then 4 sides and check the select matching polygons checkbox.

To check for triangles select both top options (4-sided faces, and faces with more then 4 sides) and then invert the selection (shift select)

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 10-10-2011 , 10:11 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks,

That works great it will save me hours of eye strain I knew there must be a way user added image now I just have to figure out how to redirect the edgeflow shouldn't be to tough.

Jake

# 4 11-10-2011 , 01:15 AM
Lifetime Member
Try and do it as you model mate...its hard at first but you get into the groove pretty quick.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 11-10-2011 , 01:27 PM
The thin red line
There is another way, select your mesh then go to faces then (main menu, select, selection using constraints) tick "all & next" then what you need to find in this case "tris". last press close and reset............dave

# 6 11-10-2011 , 03:38 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks to all of you for the help. Bullet I really am trying to improve my workflow so I don't have to go back through and redirect edge loops afterwards it is much easier to do while modeling once you learn the best ways to model. On my most recent model I only ended up with 6 tris not to bad for most on the top of the head which I don't think is that important could be wrong though. I did have two inside the mouth which I think happened when I merged my verticies but overall a most successful model. user added image

I was also able to go back through a few of my older models and quickly clean them up last night now knowing how to pick them out.

Jake