Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 106 30-04-2003 , 07:15 PM
Subscriber
Yah, so are we supposed to think up ideas for, design and make the weapons without you're input? (2d or 3d i guess)

I was thinking of powerups this is what i got. Tell me what you think you can code (i'm sure we can handle all the images)

Speed ( )v( gets credit )
Sheilds
weapon modifiers (shooot 2 or 3 sprites? or maybe modify sprites to make bigger, or better looking like Sprite1, modified=sprite5 ?)
Invinciblilty
Mines
A bot ship that would shoot things (sounds hard)
Health
Weapons
Ammo (i think it should be one kind fits all)
Bombs
Health Regenerator

Also i posted this, but you didn't mention it so i will remind you. Sprite1.psd has 3 layers, each is a frame, try animating it and tell me how it comes out. I made it very quick just to see how much time i will have to spend on it when i do it for real.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 107 01-05-2003 , 04:21 AM
Subscriber
Great so far vector.. also.. rapid fire user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 108 01-05-2003 , 07:01 AM
M: yeah, each weapon/projectile does different damage

In terms of powerups, wow, those ideas are great, these ones are deffinately doable (all are, but these one's wont be too hard to implement)

Speed
Sheilds
Invinciblilty
Health
Weapons (picking up weapons which you cant previously use)
Ammo (i think it should be one kind fits all) <-- me too
EDIT: Rapid fire - I think I can work something like this out user added image

I think having these things would spice up the game a bit without making things too complicated

I deffinately want to look at making a game with you guys in 6 months or so when I've got no "commitments", it would be so cool user added image

Seeya

# 109 01-05-2003 , 05:01 PM
Subscriber
Aright M you and me should try to figure out which ones whos gonna do.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
# 110 03-05-2003 , 01:03 PM
You guys still there? user added image

Last edited by PappaSmurf; 03-05-2003 at 01:07 PM.
# 111 03-05-2003 , 03:05 PM
Hey, something I need ASAP is a small animation of an explosion.
Say, 50x50 to 100x100 pixels or something, but these things can allways be scalled...

A limited number of frames, not like 60 because I will have to load the image files in manually, but anything would be better than no explosion user added image

Do you guys know how to do something like this or is it really hard?

I tried making an explosion in Maya, using a particle emmitter, and, well, it didn't turn out too well... I got close, but no cigar.

I just found this - https://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Com...all/index.html
if it's of any use

I also found this AVI file which has a *REALLY* cool explosion *drool*
https://perso.wanadoo.fr/ffave/tut/pyro/Explosion.avi
https://perso.wanadoo.fr/ffave/tut/py...sion-multi.avi

# 112 03-05-2003 , 07:22 PM
Subscriber
Hey smurf, sorry for the delay.. Once we figure out which options you will have in the game i will make the hud for it.. also the explsion.. im sorry.. i dont really know how to make a nice explosion.. if you want a gas explosion i have seen tutorials on it.. so i will look around.. if you want like a nuclear explosion thats more of a energy type explosion.. .then i could probably make that in photoshop.. let me know ok user added image..also can you give me a final list of everything you want in the hud? That way i can get it to you ASAP

# 113 03-05-2003 , 11:14 PM
Subscriber
If you want i can rip those frames from video, but that really would be stealing. I could also rip the frames, then make a corresponding similar one in photoshop. Although an energy explosion from maya that )v(att would make would definately come out much better. I will make a small crappy one for now (you said ASAP!) so you can figure out how to do it. Then M can make a good one later if he wants, and i won't have wasted too much time.

# 114 04-05-2003 , 12:26 AM
Ok, it's not *that* urgent, just would be cool if I had one before next weekend, acctually, it would probably be good if I didn't get it for at least another 4 or so days, because I've got other work I should be concentrating on untill then :p

That explosion AVI was from a tutorial for a program called Animation Master.
On the webpage they also had the project files for animation master, so I assume they are happy with other people using their explosion user added image I just thought it would be very hard to make an alpha map

# 115 04-05-2003 , 12:30 AM
Subscriber
Heres a kinda crappy one. 10 frames.

# 116 04-05-2003 , 12:45 AM
Subscriber
heres one of the frames

# 117 09-05-2003 , 05:10 AM
Subscriber
<bump>

Hey man hows it going? You been busy? You haven't posted. M's competition is over, so i think he has a bit more free time.

# 118 09-05-2003 , 05:15 AM
Subscriber
Hey, i will get started on the HUD as soon as i get that final list user added image.

# 119 09-05-2003 , 06:53 AM
Hey guys sorry for the lack of updates, I've been busy with assesments :/ anyway thats over now user added image

I really like the idea of weapons modifiers

This could be achieved in one of two ways

1) by "pickups", as we were talking about earlier

You would get these pickups by killing a computer "player" which appears on the screen at random intervals (not completely random).
I don't think this "thing" would shoot you, it would just be a means of "distributing" the pickups.

OR 2) simply by killing the other player (for each kill, you get the next "level" of powerups)

What do you guys think?

Health pickups will deffinately be collected by killing this enemy, the weapons modifiers should require more skill to get though I think...

# 120 09-05-2003 , 02:20 PM
Subscriber
Hey pappasmurf, can you be including multiple styles of enemies? So that if you had 5 different enemy ships each could have more health than others etc? In this case you could make certain ships that are a bitch to kill.... and they are the ones that will give ya powerups. Also, will there be more than one enemy on the screen? Just wondering. So yea, when we do get this worked out, then I will need a list.. and then I can make that HUD user added image.