Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 22-12-2016 , 11:36 AM

Pro Referencing animation workflow?

I'd be grateful for any help on where I might be going wrong with my workflow in Maya (presently 2016 sp3). I'm referencing a character onto a skeleton and have problems with edits. Workflow is:

* Build character with blend shapes and save in Reference folder.
* Open new scene and Reference in the character..
* Create a skeleton, bind to mesh and paint weights.
* Save the new scene which references in the character, incrementally as animation progresses.

Everything works fine until I make changes on the original referenced character model - e.g. deleting a couple of polygons results in the mesh blowing apart on the rig. It looks like all the weight maps are messed up.

This setup saves on disc space but I assumed another advantage would be I could tweak the REF model and it would update in the new scene without having to bind and redo weights.

Any help greatly appreciated.