Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 15-10-2004 , 08:44 AM
Subscriber

2 questions-

The software I use mainly is Adobe stuff and Maya (did not use Maya for a while). I will start using Maya again hence this post.

I have 2 computers.

Computer 1 (desktop)- CPU- AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.67 GHZ)
Video Card- GeForceTi 4600 (128Mb)
RAM- Total 3 SLots- (1x256) (1x512) (1x512) = 1256Mb

Computer 2 (laptop) Dell Precision M60

CPU- Centrino 1.6GHZ
Video Card- Quadro FX Go 700 (128Mb)
RAM- Total 2 slots- (1x512Mb) 1 slot free
(HD-7200 rpm)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question1-

What can I do to both systems to upgrade a bit? Is it worth putting a new 256Mb video card in Computer 1?
I guess on the Dell laptop I can put anoter 1x1GB RAM stick. Anyway currently I am using the Desktop more than the Dell laptop.

I will be using Maya more so keeping that in mind I guess The laptop will be better to work on...right?
OR if I put a latest GeForce card on desktop 1 plus replace the 256Mb RAM in one of the slots with a 512Mb or 1GB stick then it might be better?

What route would you take? I am not rich but not poor either. What would be the most sensible bang for the money route that will be benefitial for Maya?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 2-

I have both computers connected by a cross over cable. Can I use both computers for network rendering? How?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any advice will be helpfull. I was thinking of buying a new desktop but I want to delay for the mid term future. As I think I have descent-ish machines for now.

grrrr
# 2 31-10-2004 , 04:43 PM
Subscriber
I wouldnt use the laptop for anything more than texturing and playing your games, then re-install your os with nothing but Maya and photoshop, then RAM is a huge help in load times so it would greatly improve the speed.... as for video cards... check and see if your mother board supports/ boasts pci fast slot, if it does go for a 256 video (not agp) pci fast slot, if your M-board dosnt support it, you might need to get one to, but try the ram stick FIRST, see how it performs, OR compare prices of ramstick VS. Motherboard + video card (get cheaper first user added image ) hope this helps

edit: for network render youl want to download: Muster

Pretzels and Beer
Pizza Pockets and Computer programers
Shortcuts and 3D artists

May we always be together.