Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 05-09-2011 , 06:15 AM

Build a hull?

Hello! :-)

I have 14 points in the scene that I want to cover with a hull. I am trying for weeks now and nothing really works ... Does somebody please have a tip for me how to construct a hull? user added image

I attached a figure of the convex hull which I computed in Matlab. The hull has to consist of 18 edges and I don't know how to build this in Maya ... user added image

Thank you very much!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-09-2011 , 07:15 AM
Hi There,

Do you need it to be exactly what you had in Matlab? (I assume you do as I would hazard a guess that you are going to do some modelling in matlab for FEA or something)

If so then I would take the vertex points and create a script to add vertex points (or simple objects to represent the points) in Maya, you can then add the faces to fit using the create polygon tool and append poly tool.

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 05-09-2011 , 07:44 AM
No - it does not have to look like that one in Matlab. I have to build a 3D Model in Maya for my bachelors thesis, where I have 14 spheres in the scene. My prof wants me to build a convex hull around and I didn't know how to do this. So I first computed the hull-points in Matlab and here I am. user added image

Thank you very much for the tip with the objects and faces! user added image

# 4 05-09-2011 , 12:59 PM
Another thought would be to use linear ep curves and using the vertex points from matlab create each edge. Then use create polygon tool to create each poly face by snapping to the verts of the ep curve edges.

With only 18 edges this would be pretty quick work.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 06-09-2011 , 05:51 AM
Technical Director
I'll code something up for you quickly. Stay put...

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 6 08-09-2011 , 04:51 AM
Technical Director
Turns out I didn't need to code one from scratch, here's an implementation for creating a convex hull: https://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/S.Pilgrim/maya/

You will need to compile the code with the Maya SDK however.

You could also use Qhull, https://www.qhull.org/ and use the application qconvex. It can output in an OFF format, which you can then convert to an OBJ, which can be imported back into Maya.

Last edited by NextDesign; 08-09-2011 at 04:56 AM.
# 7 12-09-2011 , 08:25 AM
Thank you soooooooo much, you are a lifesaver! user added image

# 8 16-09-2011 , 08:54 AM
Sorry - but here I am again :/ I would like to try the convex hull implementation. I googled the handling of the Maya SDK - now I am more confused than before! I do not know where to start exactely. I found a guide which says to download Visual C++ Express and the Microsoft SDK - but what then?

Do you have a short guide what to do to use this plug-in?

Thank you very much!

# 9 16-09-2011 , 04:05 PM
I'd start by learning the mel api before junping into writing a binary plugin. Mel and writing dll plugins is not something you are going to learn in a weekend or a week, especially if you are not already intimately familiar with using maya from the UI.

In order to efficiently write these kinds of things you have to have a very good handle on what maya can do just using the regular tools. To try and sit down and learn the programming api without understanding the maya tool set is going to be very difficult. There are hundreds of routines and very little documenting how they are used.

I would look into several of the books that have been written for writing maya plugins.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 16-09-2011 at 04:11 PM.
# 10 17-09-2011 , 02:11 AM
Technical Director