Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 09-10-2014 , 01:01 PM

Optimizing the computer for Maya

Hi,

Currently I am having performance drops when using Maya. My machine is quite powerful, running on Windows 7 64-bit, i7 4930X 12-core with Nvidia K5000 card and 48 Gb of RAM.
I run a ton of different 3D apps but when it comes to Maya, there seems to be a drop in performance like moving a 5 million poly model in vewport 2 is very good but it takes a second or so to get in gear but the real glitch is on selections, double clicking on a poly island does not make a complete selection and sometimes not even loop selections. The fan noise does indicate that it is actually changing gears to keep up and I do not seem to observe such things on other software.
I have been looking at Nvidia's website regarding optimizing the GPU but it says the performance would be different based on a lot of variables so not a clean cut path there. I am aware it is not only GPU but the CPU's performance that counts on the other hand I'm sure there are few things that could be done to increase their performance combined.
I was wondering whether any of you guys have done anything that did affect the performance of your machine when running on similar high-end products?
If you could spare the time and maybe share your valuable insight as to what could be done to increase the performance or just share some settings with me, I will highly appreciate it.

Regards.

# 2 09-10-2014 , 06:06 PM
The thin red line
5 million polys is a lot for maya, how are you managing your scene files i.e. using layer to hide parts of the scene when you are not working on them, using references when you have lots of the same model.Check if other maya users are using the Nvidia K500 card to see if they have any issues..............dave

# 3 09-10-2014 , 08:21 PM
thank you for your reply. I model in Modo and bring it into Maya for texturing and rendering and part of the problem stems from not being able to keep the selections between the two software. The model is in different meshes that make up the scene in Modo and obviously that is lost upon arrival in Maya. I make quick selections on the shelf to assign substance shaders on them but making selections is not Maya's forte, that's for sure. I am going through absolute hell at the mo as Maya is trying to catch-up with me on selections, looking really bad... Never have this problem with Modo although I'm not a big fan of comparing software..Will keep on searching as I cannot possibly work like this.. user added image

# 4 09-10-2014 , 08:39 PM
The thin red line
Have you tried exporting from Modo as a fbx file, can you?...................dave

# 5 09-10-2014 , 09:36 PM
Actually, that might well be a very valuable timesaver, how could I not think of that?
Cheers!