Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 18-07-2005 , 06:17 AM

Models never Smooth :(

during the modeling process i find my self looking at the model and seeing how edgy it is,. and that maybe normal. but i get the same resualt in the rendering

heres a pic of my friend model i have made on my own but can't get it smooth with out messing the thing up

https://img348.imageshack.us/img348/2707/edgey5vy.png

# 2 18-07-2005 , 06:47 AM
Subscriber
Make sure your normals are facing the same way, to check this goto Display -> Polygon Components -> Short Normals
if any are facing the wrong way, select them, then goto Edit Polygons -> Normals -> Reverse

hope this helps
dae

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 3 18-07-2005 , 08:39 AM
turn on anti aliasing in your render globals by putting quality up to production quality.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 19-07-2005 , 03:13 PM
Subscriber
Another overlooked element is whether or not your normals are "hard" or "soft". As a rule, any hard edge should have hard normals, and vice versa. Hence, a perfectly smooth sphere should have all its normals set to soft. Consequently, a hard edge (as where two planes meet at an angle) should have hard normals along the edge in question.

This often becomes a problem when appending to the polygon (ie replacing/repairing deleted faces, &c), as the new normals aren't necessarily as hard or soft as the ones already on the object.

To change the hardness/softness of normals, select the offending edges (or faces) while in component mode and go to Edit Polygons>Normals>Soften/Harden and choose the selection box. When in the selection box, you can select any value between 0 and 180 (zero being all hard, 180 being all soft) to adjust the hardness/softness. Play around with it. I have found it indispensible in making hard surface or organic models look just right!

Hope this helps...

Carry on...