Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 13-09-2005 , 09:53 PM
Subscriber

Poly UV Texture

Hi,

Hoping someone can help, I'm going polygon crazy?

I'm having a problem applying a texture to my polygon model. I have created the UV map and exported to photo shop. In Photoshop I have created a new layer that sits on top of the UV set ( Background) and created a texture for the model. When I go back into Maya and assign the texture to the model, the texture is not aligned with the model's UV's, is very small and the black canvas from the uv set is displayed on the model.

The strange thing is that when I convert the poly to a sub-d model and create a UV set the output from Photoshop textures correctly.

Cheers

# 2 14-09-2005 , 08:12 AM
Sounds similar to the problems I was having last night.

In the UV editor (windows -> rendering thingy -> uv editor)
have a look at what the current UVmap is (something like image -> the bottom option, in the menus) that you are using. I had the UV's of my characters head in the default UVmap and also a second one so it was going screwy. To get round it I copied my nicely laid out UV's to the default UVmap and deleted the extra ones.

Might not make too much sense but I get the feeling something like that has happened...

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 3 15-09-2005 , 11:28 AM
Subscriber
:attn:Thanks for that, I had two UV maps for the one poly model and I moved the correct one over the default UV set and it worked.

Cheers