Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 19-05-2008 , 07:45 PM
Subscriber

creating a particle grid on plane or otherway round.

Hey guys,

Was wondering how would I go about either setting a particle grid to be made on the position of a plane or have a plane be created at a particle grids postion?

I am guessing it goes along the basis of finding the particle grid's position at setting it up that way but am pretty stuck where to go from there. I can get a particle ID's postion by using the 'getParticleAttr' command and specifying the first particle, but am not sure where to go from here.

Many thanks in advance,
Chris

# 2 19-05-2008 , 07:58 PM
If you've got the particles position in space where you want the plane to be then stick that into a attribute and use it to be the position of the plane (using Xform or move)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 19-05-2008 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the speedy reply gster! However I am still fairly new to mel so am not sure how I would go about doing that and in which order, please enlighten lol.

Chris

# 4 19-05-2008 , 11:33 PM
If you use the getParticleAttr so that it contains the data that you want, just have that as the position of the plane, as I aint got maya open it might be some thing like this.

move -a `what you want to do here so its XYZ positions` objectname ;

Theres a probably a more elagant solution to it...

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle