Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 16-05-2005 , 08:34 AM
Subscriber

Game Model

Hey PeeP’s, I’ve been working on this game model for the last 3 days, I would appreciate some feed back, honest and constructive, I would be grateful for the help.user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 2 16-05-2005 , 03:09 PM
Subscriber
whats with all the fuzziness in the pics?

his face seems too flat, might want to round it out a bit more to make it more face like...

the texturing is good except that his chest hair seems a bit down too far, might want to adjust your UVs especially in the necklace area, or just retexture it and let the necklace overhang on the chest hair.. (ouch)

thats it from me for now...until I think of something else

# 3 16-05-2005 , 07:14 PM
Subscriber
I can only presume you've blurred the edges in photoshop for some reason, would be a lot better if you left it totally clear so we could see everything. If it was to cover up mistakes it would be a bit silly as you are asking for crits user added image

Anyway, my thoughts :

1) Head too small compared to chest - either the head needs scaling up, or chest needs to be deflated a bit.

2) Something with the lower back / arse needs changing - the backside pokes out quite sharply and lower back looks too thin.

3) Texturing on the feet needs work.

see pic ) Perhaps some more manly jaw definition. Face on he looks a bit too round. I also think the moustache could do with some 'squaring', just to emphasise a squarer jaw. The brow to me also look a little flat, he needs some more padding there or he will look a bit weak. I've also shown what I think you should do with the nose and the arms there if you wanna make this guy look tough, but you might be thinking along totally different lines. Anyway as you can see below I've kinda smudged in what I think would look better, maybe this helps, maybe it doesn't - good luck all the same user added image

Edit : sorry for the crude pic - hopefully you still understand what I mean when you compare it with your picture.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by petrol; 16-05-2005 at 07:16 PM.
# 4 16-05-2005 , 08:21 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by petrol
I can only presume you've blurred the edges in photoshop for some reason, would be a lot better if you left it totally clear so we could see everything. If it was to cover up mistakes it would be a bit silly as you are asking for crits user added image

Anyway, my thoughts :

1) Head too small compared to chest - either the head needs scaling up, or chest needs to be deflated a bit.

2) Something with the lower back / arse needs changing - the backside pokes out quite sharply and lower back looks too thin.

3) Texturing on the feet needs work.

see pic ) Perhaps some more manly jaw definition. Face on he looks a bit too round. I also think the moustache could do with some 'squaring', just to emphasise a squarer jaw. The brow to me also look a little flat, he needs some more padding there or he will look a bit weak. I've also shown what I think you should do with the nose and the arms there if you wanna make this guy look tough, but you might be thinking along totally different lines. Anyway as you can see below I've kinda smudged in what I think would look better, maybe this helps, maybe it doesn't - good luck all the same user added image

Edit : sorry for the crude pic - hopefully you still understand what I mean when you compare it with your picture.

I used your Ideauser added image

I like the way it's coming out. thinks for the tip:bow:

user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 5 16-05-2005 , 10:47 PM
Subscriber
No problem at all user added image

Looking much much better, the nose looks great. The whole face looks much meaner. Now the fuzziness has gone I can really see a much better shape of your character. Now just a couple of texture problems that bother me user added image

1) The chain does need sorting, it looks like the image has kinks etc in there, you need to make the chain around 2 or 3 times as thick so it's more visible, and straighten the kinks. The kinks in the model's polygons should make the chain fit look as good as it can. Number of chains is up to you, but 1 or 2 would be less messy probably.

3) Eyebrows are coming down into the guys eyes user added image He's gonna need a trim! Lift the bottom of the eyebrow hair much nearer toward the top of the eyebrow hair.

I'm a bit curious still about the shoes - they kinda look wrapped in hatched fencing, lol. Apart from these small things it looks pretty darn good, could imagine him in like GTA or something. user added image

# 6 17-05-2005 , 02:22 PM
Sup Rtillery, I think the part between the shoulders and the elbow is abnormal looking compared to his body. The Red markings is just an estimate on what his body would look like without the shirt. The Blue line indicates where his clothes look like is glued on hence pulling the shirt to sides (yellow arrow thing). keep up the good work man! I still yet have to make a low poly character hehe.

Attached Thumbnails

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 7 17-05-2005 , 03:02 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by orgeeizm
Sup Rtillery, I think the part between the shoulders and the elbow is abnormal looking compared to his body. The Red markings is just an estimate on what his body would look like without the shirt. The Blue line indicates where his clothes look like is glued on hence pulling the shirt to sides (yellow arrow thing). keep up the good work man! I still yet have to make a low poly character hehe.

Yeah, I’m actually going to put him in the recycle bin, hehe,, I made him with out a reference image cause I cant draw for sh!t, as soon as I find a good image Ill give it another try, I been coming up with the same issues that you pointed out :headbang: ,, it will be easer to redo him, but this time ill do it right,,lol
thanks for the adviceuser added image

# 8 17-05-2005 , 03:59 PM

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 9 17-05-2005 , 04:38 PM
Subscriber
Yeah. this is a cool site,, Mike kicked it to me a while back,, I should of came here first:headbang: LoL

# 10 17-05-2005 , 05:17 PM
Subscriber
if he has some muscles on his body, try adding some really really light shadows to the shirt to kind of show it.....give the guy a good shirt or he be a girly man!!!! user added image

# 11 17-05-2005 , 05:30 PM
Subscriber
hehe,, I add a lot more to his cloths but wanted to get the general shape of the body first, the shirt in was going to add chains crisscrossing like a lace on the opening and adding pockets and seems in the pants. But he is now dead and buried in my big pile of Oops’es folder. But his memory will live on.user added image

# 12 17-05-2005 , 06:07 PM
R.I.P. Pirate Looking Hairy Buff Guy Game Model :hug: