Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 13-03-2005 , 09:07 PM
Subscriber

Valgarde Hall

Just borrowed the book that came with the collector's edition of World of Warcraft (The Art of World of Warcraft) from a friend, and stumbled upon a drawing of something called Valgarde Hall, and decided to try and model it...

Here's where I'm at after about 2 hours of modelling (OMG rendering with GI takes forever!):

Since I'm not yet playing, please feel free to give lots of crits if you've seen it ingame, or even post/mail me some screenshots for reference if you happen to pass by user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 2 14-03-2005 , 02:52 PM
Subscriber
When modelling buildings and other stuff that won't be smoothed or deform, should I still go for quads over n-sided faces?

# 3 14-03-2005 , 04:08 PM
Subscriber
How do you plan to use the model? Will be exported into game engine? Only using for still rendering? etc... I think that's going to be a factor in this decision.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 4 14-03-2005 , 04:40 PM
Subscriber
I'm pretty sure that it'll be a bit too high in the poly count to use in a game when I'm done with it, so I guess it'll just be for stills/animation... Maybe a normal map if I decide to use it in a game engine at some point...

# 5 14-03-2005 , 05:24 PM
looks like a very good start...looks nice...

don't play this game, so i can't help you out with screenshots, but you should find some with google i guess.

maybe i will start a little building project too.... too much HMMWV at the moment user added image need another 3d Project.

my english makes me nobody so fast after

mein english macht mir keiner so schnell nach
# 6 14-03-2005 , 05:40 PM
user added image well the beginning looks good but i have no idea what the game is soo user added image can't help you there

btw What is that material you used, it looks much better then the default grey maya makes it seems like there is a bit of blue in it?

# 7 14-03-2005 , 05:45 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the compliments user added image

It's the default shader, I've just rendered it with GI Joe, and I think the bit of blue is from the lights... It brings out the details a lot better than just the standard lighting, but it can take forever to render. Maya actually crashed when I tried to render this shot in 640x480 in Production Quality, so here's the update in Preview Quality user added image

EDIT: Rendering this took me 1:55 minutes...

Worked a bit more on the top and added some windows...

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 14-03-2005 , 05:52 PM
Subscriber
This is the onlæy reference I have, and nothing to be found on Google...

NOTE: This is NOT my work! This is from The Art of World of Warcraft, and is most likely copyrighted by Blizzard..

Attached Thumbnails

# 9 14-03-2005 , 07:03 PM
Subscriber
If you'r doing for single frame renders, then you can go a little crazier with the geometry. that said, it never hurts to develop good habits... so even though your poly count may be unlimited, I recommend you try to avoid n-gons if possible (not mandatory, just recommended). Model is looking good, I'm interested to see how you do that thatched roof. Happy modeling user added image

# 10 15-03-2005 , 06:07 PM
Subscriber
Yeah I'm pretty curious on how the roof will turn out myself, so far I have absolutely no idea on how to do it! user added image

Just got Mike's book today, but I think that if I should ever have a chance to finish this project, I'd better wait with the book until this is done user added image

Small update for tonight, added all of the windows (almost at least - those things are a pain to model!) and worked my way a bit further towards the top... I think this will have to do for tonight...

Attached Thumbnails

# 11 15-03-2005 , 06:33 PM
after seeing the reference image, iam expecting a great model... I will observe this thread... user added image

Hope you get some more reference pics.

But is think there is something wrong with the proportion of the roof and the wall...

I think the "wall" (1) is to high compared to the roof (II)... but iam not sure... overall it looks very nice

mfg

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 15-03-2005 , 08:18 PM
Subscriber
Definetly last update for tonight! user added image

Finished the top and added a little more detail... Now it's just basically adding detail and tweaking left... And the thatched roof of course user added image Suggestions on how to do that are more than welcome!

Vietcong, you might be right about the roof, and I also think that the part "sticking out" from the main part of the building needs som more width, but I plan on tweaking stuff like that when the model is close to done...

I'd still like some more reference if anyone has any, to see how it's textured and what's on the two sides that aren't visible in my reference...

# 13 15-03-2005 , 08:20 PM
Subscriber
Crap, forgot img! Bedtime... user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 14 15-03-2005 , 08:55 PM
model a shingle roof instead...

Attached Images

# 15 15-03-2005 , 09:20 PM
Subscriber
Darn, you're right there isn't jack on this online. I've even looked though scores of screen shots from warcraft. Okay, no references to be found, so heres a concept of the back side quickly sketched, but hopefully understandable. I didn't draw the whole thing, since alot would be symmetrical.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mhcannon; 15-03-2005 at 10:26 PM.