Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 29-03-2013 , 06:46 PM

changing a quad. good or bad?

Hey i was modeling a head in maya. And i came across this idea of mine
What i did was i had one quad, i cut the face into 4 triangles, deleted the tri's and added a new face in the hole (see image below). This way i got more geometry to work with. But I'm worried if this is a bad thing to do or not.

The mesh would look like it did before if i chose all 4 vertexes and merged them together.

user added image

Last edited by Skalman; 29-03-2013 at 06:53 PM.
# 2 29-03-2013 , 06:57 PM
Shit. just noticed that by making this i created 4 n-gons. which is not a good thing. I'll just merge them together again.

Delete this thread if you want. problem is solved

# 3 30-03-2013 , 12:07 AM
Lifetime Member
if you want more geo but not n-gons just select the polygon face or several (ie 4 ) then extrude and scale it in.Be mindful not to click extrude and deselect the tool or do nothing as you will end up with faces on top of faces a common beginner mistake.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 4 10-05-2013 , 09:43 AM
haha i used to get double face meshes before, didnt know why. now i know user added image thanks user added image a habbit for me to press W/E/R after i've extruded something :3