Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 24-04-2008 , 10:50 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

MAYA ext2 crashing

Hi all

I have a bit of a problem with the extension 2 of maya it keeps shutting down like 5 times a day.
I have remade a model for a millionth times now and it gets a bit annoying
All of a sudden i can't select components anymore nor go back to object mode i can still do everything else, but a few moments after that maya crashes and this is the main error;
Error: Unhandled Exception i get when i view the error report.
My model is about 3500 polys so it's not because of insane memory usage.
I have made png images which i applied as textures for model refference, could this be it?

Hardware specs;
intel core2duo e6700
ati radeon x1950xtx
4 gb memory
winxp

# 2 24-04-2008 , 11:44 AM
Not too sure man, Ive had it running since it was released, not had a problem.

I've not tried any PNG's myself as I always use tif's

You tried an reinstall??

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 24-04-2008 , 11:57 AM
Hi steve,

I eventually reinstalled my entire os, i have also deleted the imageplanes with the png's and it seems to have done the job, time will tell.....

# 4 24-04-2008 , 02:14 PM
# 5 24-04-2008 , 04:01 PM
Might be a bug??

Have you tried with a different image type, just incase??

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 24-04-2008 , 08:14 PM
I'm not familiar with the extension 2 so I couldn't offer any suggestions as to what could be causing the issue. Try contacting Maya tech support for help on that.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 7 25-04-2008 , 04:54 AM
I deleted the images, i read somewhere on the internet that it is an error which is a result of a software bug, and because noone else seems to be having the problem my guess it has something to do with the ati drivers of my videocard as it is mentioned in the report...
thanks for the help so far

# 8 25-04-2008 , 04:03 PM
Oke guys i think i might have found the solution;
This was the generic error;
Exception code: C0000005: ACCESS_VIOLATION
when i googled that i found this info on some techy forum;

NOW. On to your real question, you are probably seeing a lot of these on your machine, which made you come here in search of answers. You now need to determine which program is throwing the exception. It may be several, thats certainly possible. Use Start->Run Drwtsn32 and see whats in the exception handler log. Use the event viewer, if you prefer. Once you've identified the application that is faulting, the next time it crashes on you, note where it stuck the dump (probably \windows\minidump\3279272.dmp or in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\user.dmp) and run it through the dump data analysis tool in my signature, and ill tell you why it blew up, and try to recommend what to do to fix it.

When i typed Drwysn32 in the run thingy i got a nice overview of what was going on under the hood and saw that it was the vlc player that caused the exception.

but this solution is still a beta.... time shall tell me once more if this was it....

# 9 26-04-2008 , 10:21 AM
The above wasn't the solution, i found the solution however, i've been working with maya for 3+ hours now and no lagging or crashes.
The first assumtion seemed to be the right one, it was the ati driver, so if you are stupid enough to buy an Ati card(like me) and have unexpected errors and the like; look at this link
click

You have to revert to a previous driver this one .

I suggest downloading the display driver only, because you basically don't need the crap they put in the catalyst driver set.
Oh yeah keep in mind to clean up any old ati -junk from the registry before installing the previous driver because otherwise it won't install properly.

# 10 26-04-2008 , 10:37 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
I updated my ATI drivers and had crashes and things

# 11 03-05-2008 , 11:21 PM