Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 22-08-2005 , 06:07 PM
Inspector Lee

Bubble help

I'm creating an underwater shot sequence, and I have a submarine w/ particle emitters attached to each propeller, so that it leaves a small, "corkscrewing" trail of bubbles in the prop wash. I thought it might be better to create geometry for the bubbles and instance them to the particles (so I can render the scene in one pass), rather than using the particle/spheres themselves (w/ a hardware render) and compositing them afterwards (the rest of the scene looks so much better with a software render). My problem is I don't know how to get these "instanced" bubbles to vary in size (which was easy to do when they were particles).
Any suggestions on how I might achieve this would be greatly appreciated.

# 2 26-08-2005 , 05:19 AM
Considering it's an instance that's quite a hard problem you ever thought of just making multiple emitters with different sized bubbles that would ease things up a bit.

Or maybe altering the emitter using mel and just telling it what you want to emit using a rand() function for size on your bubble object.

How much mel do you know it might be easier making a loop that creates sphere geometry with a random size then assigns your shader or texture then assigns any physics to it.

Actually that would probably be what you want to do even though it sounds like a pain in the arse.

Adam

# 3 26-08-2005 , 05:25 AM
Inspector Lee
Thanks for the reply. I actually ended up just using Blobby surfaces (since they render in a softare render) and they look great. I don't know much MEL scripting, I guess that's what I need to tackle next.

# 4 26-08-2005 , 05:32 AM
From what I found on mel scripting as much as it is annoying especially when you busy modelling and making things look awesome it does on many occasions save much in the stuffing around department as well as the customization factor.

Anyway mate have a good one!

# 5 26-09-2005 , 07:58 PM
Sorry I missed this one as well, but I was going to suggest ising the bubble PaintFX brush on your props, as they render SUPER fast, in software also, and they are multi-size by default.

Glad you got it working tho!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com