Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 20-12-2010 , 01:25 PM
EduSciVis-er

Stuck in London

Well hello everyone,
Just sitting here in London City Airport (cause there's no chance in heck I'm going to Heathrow today) and after a lovely three days visiting this very interesting city, I want to get out of here!
Well, only cause I have a holiday booked in Africa, and now I'm going to miss half of it user added image

Don't mind me, I'm just bored and venting. I only have a netbook, so no chance of installing Maya or anything really fun. I thought I'd check in and see what's been going on on the forums, while I've been sightseeing.

Was supposed to fly out early this morning, but now my wife and I are stuck here until the 24th, while the rest of the family goes on safari. Guess we picked the wrong weekend to be here. But all in all, we've had a good time so far. Anyone working at a studio here feel like giving a tour? :p

Well, I suppose this isn't a blog, so I'll stop blabbing on.

I think we'll still have some time in Africa, so Elephantinc, I'll make sure to take a picture of a baby elephant for you user added image

Hmm... chrome doesn't seem to have any arrow key issues. Any luck on the firefox fix?

# 2 20-12-2010 , 02:00 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Well hello everyone,

I think we'll still have some time in Africa, so Elephantinc, I'll make sure to take a picture of a baby elephant for you user added image

I was just going to ask if you intended to see any user added image

Im sorry you'll miss half of it, I know how you feel, I was going to go to Blackpool zoo yesterday but couldn't because of the weather. user added image

# 3 20-12-2010 , 02:28 PM
SM Tea Boy
Sucks to get stuck at the airport user added image

I forgot about the arrow keys in firefox, IE and Chrome are fine. Ill have another look at it thanks for the reminder

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 4 20-12-2010 , 04:43 PM
Subscriber
Im hoping my trip to Florida in the new year (3rd Jan) can still go ahead

Fingers crossed for both me and you

# 5 20-12-2010 , 05:38 PM
That does suck that you've gotten stranded, hope you did enjoy your time in London, us Londoners aren't so bad are we....lol
I hope you do enjoy the time you get in Africa!
best of luck with the rest of the wait too.

# 6 20-12-2010 , 07:00 PM
Administrator
Welcome to Europe stwert. You shouldn't actually get on a plane here from november until march because these things tend to happen whether it's christmas or not.

Watch this, might make you feel better as it could always be worse
https://failblog.org/2009/12/09/fail-...p-ten-of-2009/

Hope you get to africa soon, safari sounds like a lot of fun. And while you're waiting there's a lot of nice pubs in Londonuser added image

Nilla

# 7 20-12-2010 , 08:17 PM
Subscriber
thats pretty stink

hope you dont die in africa!

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 8 20-12-2010 , 09:16 PM
Acid44

thats pretty stink

hope you dont die in africa!

There's a mood booster!

user added image

... Oh wait...

user added image

# 9 20-12-2010 , 11:20 PM
Lifetime Member
Sorry about the Stuffed safari plans Stwert.

I live in Queensland, my wife and kids have never seen snow. Yesterday the first day of my kids holidays where it didn't rain, we went surfing on the Gold Coast. I thought we had a good time... We all got a little burnt. Get home, watch the news and after seeing pictures of Heathrow, my wife remarks that it looks reallt pretty. Somewhere in europe I think- cars were sliding uncontrollably down an icy incline smushing into one another, my son laughed and remarked that looked like a fun place to be instead of stuck here in the heat. They have spent there entire lives an hours drive from surfers paradise...

I guess its all relative? or in the eye of the Beer Holder.

Wishing you and yours the best for the rest of the hols.

Learn from others mistakes, it takes too long to make them all yourself.
# 10 21-12-2010 , 10:40 PM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks for all the commiserations and well-wishes, guys. Feeling a lot better today now that we've resigned ourselves to the modified travel plans. And there's a chance we might be able to reschedule the safaris, so here's hoping. I'll probably post a few pics on my blog if I get any good ones. Went to Oxford today, which was really lovely in the snow, tomorrow is Natural History museum with the special exhibit on Wildlife Photography, so could be a lot worse really. user added image

# 11 22-12-2010 , 01:10 AM
Lifetime Member
Im with you 3D...never seen the stuff...and yes my kids thought it looked cool too LOL. Heres hoping things work out for you stwert!! I heard on the radio this morning that Qantarse had started to get organised and flights were starting again...so hopefully your sojourn into the wilderness to be the bait for the animals is all going to happen. Good luck with it and will be waiting for the photos...remember your Nike's...you dont have to outrun the lion...just the bloke next to you...

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 12 22-12-2010 , 01:16 AM
Subscriber
i've never seen snow either. but i expect to see it when i go to japan user added imageuser added image

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 13 22-12-2010 , 09:50 AM
Snow is cool when you haven't seen it before, or for ages, then it gets very old, very quickly.....lol
I hate the stuff, I dream of being able to walk without worrying I'm going to hit a patch of ice and end up on my back! It happened two years ago and I smacked my head and back pretty bad!
I propose a ban on snow. If only around my area please.

# 14 22-12-2010 , 10:45 AM
Subscriber
oh dango... you should learn to fall safely! and then you'll never hit your head again... unless there's some unforeseeable object that will smack into it

move to auckland and you'll never see snow ever again!
it would be funny if you could ban snow around a small radius of you, so as you're walking down the street it creeps away and then creeps back as you move

# 15 22-12-2010 , 11:07 AM
Lifetime Member
bahahahah dango...it wasnt that and it wasnt an evil clown...wow you must have hit your head hard. It was a Ronald McDonald statue in the playground and it was a kids cola slushy you slipped on bahahaha...kidding. My cousin from England experienced black ice in the mountains on holiday in Victoria,,,he said it was interesting sliding towards the precipice in a vehicle on the stuff, he said it only took 4 firfighters to get his arse of the seat with a crowbar...rectal reaction he reckoned.

Too much coffee chirone...nice thought though.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes