Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 13-05-2006 , 09:16 PM

The Purpose of History Erase-al

Okies, newbie question, here. -grin-

I understand that erasing the history will help your computer to function better, especially if the history is piling up, but is there any reason you *shouldn't* do it? Should it be done whenever you stop using Maya for a bit, or just when you are *completely* done with a model/part etc.?

Just wondering when I should erase the history and all. Didn't want to mess up my model *completely*. user added image

Thanks all!

# 2 13-05-2006 , 09:51 PM
Subscriber
erase history all is advised usually when sculpting and texturing your model(s). Certain cases like CPS ( connect poly Shape) depend on history and you shouldnt erase during this process.

History is most needed during animating and deforming. Animation is history dependant. In this stage Do Not delete your history.

Some functions like loft or bi-rail will leave your model attached to the surve used to generate them, use delete history to make them independant.

There are plenty of reasons to be aware of your history. Experament and you will see a number of reasons this is useful.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 3 14-05-2006 , 07:52 AM
after modelling an object for a while and performing certain operations on it... if you open the Attribute editor...take a look at the tabs that are there before erasing history...and the ones that are there after... only the basic ones remain....basically all the tabs that you lost after erasing history you cant edit anymore ............example...create a poly sphere, you can increase poly count in the channel box, delete history, you lose the ability to do that...you'll basicall have to use split edge ring tool or something

-another case you wouldnt want to erase history, is after creating wrap deformers....they wont work anymore

# 4 14-05-2006 , 11:17 AM
Oh, okay, thanks everyone! I think I have the general idea of when to use it.

Thanks much!