Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 16-06-2008 , 02:52 AM

placing rivets on a complex poly

Hi all.

I have a "steampunk" project I am working on and have some polys I want to cover in rivets to look like old riveted steel. The polys are complex shapes, not simples geometric shapes. think of how to add rivet patterns to a humanoid or animal to get a vague idea of what I'm looking to do in terms of applying the rivets.

These rivets are to be evenly placed and spaced along seam lines to look authentic.

The way I am thinking of is to creat some UVs for my model, export them in to Photoshop. Draw out my rivet patternns using PS's grids to keep the rivets evenly spaced. Once I have drawn this all out, back in to Maya and plgging the JPGs in to the UVs.

Is this the best way? The worst way? the only way?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

thank you.

Tristan

# 2 16-06-2008 , 03:06 AM
You could texture them like that. If you wanted actual geometry, you could make your object "live" and draw a curve around it for the path of the rivets, then create one rivet and snap it to the curve. Then, you could set it to the curve as a motion path, then take an animation snapshot of it (setting the number of frames to the number of rivets you want).

They'd be evenly space though might need a bit of tweaking.

cheers

gubar

# 3 16-06-2008 , 04:36 AM
Hey Gubar. Thank you very much for the reply.

That's very interesting. How do you take an animation snapshot?

Tristan

# 4 16-06-2008 , 04:51 AM
Hi no problem,

once you have your object on your path, select the object, parh curve and then select "create animation snapshot" from the animation menu set, under the animate tab. You can select your start and end frame there to control the amount of riverts you get (1 per frame).

Hope it helps

gubar

# 5 16-06-2008 , 07:51 AM
hey, thanks very much Gubar. I'll try it!