Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 03-10-2008 , 05:39 PM
Subscriber

Reason why i love maya

# 2 03-10-2008 , 06:19 PM
I do love my marking menus, i dont use any menus at all. ctrl + space and ctrl + m on start up.

# 3 04-10-2008 , 03:11 AM
Subscriber
good HCI (human computer interaction) research there

i told someone i takes a second for me to do one thing one way and a lot less to do the same thing another way, and they didn't understand the problem....

i dont get how you can't understand the problem. if a task takes 1/3 shorter in one way than another way that's a bloody huge time saving..... especially when you have to perform lots of those operations

oh well.. i guess not everyone thinks big.... kinda frustrating really.... user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 04-10-2008 , 03:47 AM
Subscriber
Yeah tell me about it.

I can't make people to understand how much time you save this way, and how much more simple it works.

I mean, i was using blender or what was it, can't remember, and while it was good app, you had to remember 1001 shortcuts. I mean what better to do, rember all those shortcuts, or just make one marking menu and apply tools to it that you use the most.

I apply all modelling tools to D+RMB to access it from marking menus, and this way you can hide almost all the interface, AND don't have to remember all those crazy shorcuts. AND it works waay faster.

But as you said, people just don't get this, which it kinda annoying. I mean why would you spend 2 hourse on something, when you can only 1.

# 5 04-10-2008 , 04:36 AM
I just started building my own marking menus... I have a question:
How can I write an If/Case statement in Mel that'll open different marking menus depending on the object I click on, such as with shift+RMB? (eg. polygon modeling for a polygon object, create for void etc.)
Thanks in advance,
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)

Last edited by BennyK; 04-10-2008 at 08:38 AM.
# 6 04-10-2008 , 06:46 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Chirone
good HCI (human computer interaction) research there

i told someone i takes a second for me to do one thing one way and a lot less to do the same thing another way, and they didn't understand the problem....

i dont get how you can't understand the problem. if a task takes 1/3 shorter in one way than another way that's a bloody huge time saving..... especially when you have to perform lots of those operations

oh well.. i guess not everyone thinks big.... kinda frustrating really.... user added image

marking menus are just on screen short cuts. theyre are not the fastest way to work.
other apps design their UI to suit their toolset, i work just as fast in max, when i was using it and maya and XSI. i personally prefer context menus [ right click on an object to bring a list of options. ] over marking menus.

# 7 05-10-2008 , 09:56 PM
Subscriber
Benny: i would answer your question but umm... i can't yet

Vladimirjp:
nothing beats the single click of a mouse button. it's happens at almost the instant you want something
hence the reason why i hate mac mouses because i can't live without at least 5 buttons on my mouse.

you're right, marking menus are on screen menus and i got so used to holding down the right mouse button i started doing it in other apps :p
i just like to have everything right there at that instant instead of having to move the mouse all the way to the other side of the window.

i suppose it all boils down to what you get used to. switching to new things will take time to adapy and it may seem like it takes longer...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 8 08-10-2008 , 08:19 AM

How can I write an If/Case statement in Mel that'll open different marking menus depending on the object I click on, such as with shift+RMB? (eg. polygon modeling for a polygon object, create for void etc.)

I did some more researching and found a folder of python and Mel scripts... thing is I couldn't find 'marking' nor 'menu' there user added image. It really annoys me because it is already done for RMB, shift+RMB etc. and therefor shouldn't be that hard...
Any ideas on how to get that to work? perhaps find out how it was done?
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)