Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 05-12-2008 , 08:11 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Looks good. I like the shader.

The only issues I see is with the anatomy of the face itself. I know your going for a post death skin on bone look, so there's no problem there, but I think the bone on the side of the eyes should be brought in slightly. it shouldn't be so round, and also the check bone should extend back to the ear.

I really like what you did with the mouth (or lack of one). Looks cool. But the image is good, but isn't overly creepy in any way. I wonder if maybe you gave the face a bit of contortion, make it looks as if he/it was trying to scream. Try to channel some emotion through the eyes. Some character? Know what I mean? I think it would really solidify the character.

Anyway, everything else looking good thus far.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 32 05-12-2008 , 08:19 AM
Cheers for the crits man, When I read over our post and looked back at it it stood out straight away as being wrong! One of the great things of posting up WIP's

Think its the old problem of being too "close" to it and having a bit too much fun going a bit mad when sculpting and not grounding yourself!

I'll get some non symetric stuff in there to spice it up a bit. As for the "expression" i'm not to sure as a lot of the cenobites look kinda "normal" in there expressions, like there not bothered i na way, sort of acceptd their fate, but I know what you mean. Might get some gaffer (duct) tape over my mouth and get infront of the mirror for facial refs, and see how it goes on a layer.

Cheers for the comments.

Edit - Ohh if you want the shader give me a shout.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by gster123; 05-12-2008 at 08:42 AM.
# 33 05-12-2008 , 06:41 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Steve

Looking very cool mate, I love it. If you could add some more flesh to the cheek areas to define those areas it will really begin to pop mate.

best
Jay

# 34 05-12-2008 , 06:47 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
skin looks leather-like material other than that it looks sweet

# 35 05-12-2008 , 08:42 PM
Cheers Jay an murambi.

The skins meant to be like that, im not after a real skin like material, I want it to look "dehydrated" so to speak, I can dial it up or down as its on a layer.

# 36 06-12-2008 , 03:58 AM
Subscriber
Love the look of this so far Steve! user added image

My 2cents would be, adding a bit more meat around the lower eye's.

# 37 06-12-2008 , 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
Looking good so far. Hopefully you add that odd touch of eroticism along with the creep factor.

- Genny
# 38 07-12-2008 , 04:12 PM
Cheers guys,

Yeah Gen I will on the "clothing" leather, buckles etc etc .

# 39 07-12-2008 , 04:28 PM
Had a little play with the back.

Attached Thumbnails

# 40 07-12-2008 , 04:34 PM
Subscriber
ewwwwww!

that is disgustingly awesome! :bow:

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 41 08-12-2008 , 12:13 AM
waah - that looks painful! nice work gster.

# 42 09-12-2008 , 05:00 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Very nice. It's really starting to look the part.

I like the detail on the wound, where the spine is exposed.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 43 10-12-2008 , 06:32 PM
Cheers Guys,

Took out the base level boots that I had for him in Z to maya for a bit of a revamp on em.

Attached Thumbnails

# 44 10-12-2008 , 06:41 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
my friend unfortunately for you is that i expect top notch work from you its like watching lord of the rings then watching any other movie in that genre(10,000bc yuck)
that said i have been doing some stuff with triangles and quads wanted to ask whats the problem of having triangles when i smooth i get all quads

# 45 10-12-2008 , 07:01 PM
Cheers Murambi!

In essence there is'nt a problem with having the odd tri in a model. But as a rule when doing organics its best off to keep to quads as they deform better when animating.

Also depending on where the tri's are they can cause flickering when either rendered as the low poly model or when they are smoothed (and then become quads, as thats what the catmull clark operation attempts to do) due to the "interuptions" that they have to the continuity of the mesh.

For example, if you make a standard sphere it has tris on the top and bottom where the longitudinal edges meet the first (or last depending where you look) latitudinall line it looks fine, when you smooth it you get quads and then it still looks fine, depending on the start level and the end level if you deform that sphere now the points at where the tris become quads can become unruley, and pop out when rendered.

Theres lots of great artists that use tris and ngons to their advantage as they know what there going to get out of the smooth (Steven Sthalberg for one).

I tend to go the all quad route for major areas that will deform and bee seen, I'll have the odd tri in say an ear, hidden away.

Also in Z a tri may start to be a problem with the sculpt as it can pop in a similar way to the sphere example and be a right bugger to get rid of.

So all in all, theres nothing wrong with the odd tri as long as you know what problems you might get and can either live with it or work round it.

Hope it helps.