Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 31-01-2005 , 10:48 PM

Character Animation: Drop & Fall

Hi thought id post an animation test im working on for my character and rig, he just has a parented low poly mesh in these tests for now.

Drop and Fall (800kb)

any crits or comments would be cool

Thanks user added image

Last edited by Nametag; 31-01-2005 at 11:27 PM.
# 2 31-01-2005 , 11:15 PM
Subscriber

Just a new

I am just a newb, so I can't give you any helpfull tips, all I can do is say "Awsome"-great work, hopefully one day I can be that good. Oh, and I sure did use alot of commas in this short, yet long, but ok, and wordful reply.

-Ryan

# 3 31-01-2005 , 11:29 PM
Technical Director
Looks good mate.

Just when he looks down, its has no anticipation to it.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 03-02-2005 , 11:29 PM
hey

Thanks for the feedback user added image

heres an update on the animation,

Drop and fall 2 700K

Some crits or comments would be great user added image

# 5 03-02-2005 , 11:43 PM
Subscriber
Wow, really good work so far.

Only things id have to say.. is in a lot of movies, people land on one knee and one leg.. then kinda lift themself up by pushing their palms on the knee. I think it looks great, just if thats a tall fall he just came from.. i think you'd have to add a bit more stress to the character to make it look like he really did go through that fall. Maybe have him crack his knuckles when he stands up user added image.. haha. Or whipes the sweat off his head. Heh, im not the one animating though, good job user added image.

Matt

PS. I love the fall when the floor falls beneath him, he looks quite startled.. definately a plus

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 6 05-02-2005 , 07:31 PM
Subscriber
Wow, it looks really good to me. user added image

# 7 05-02-2005 , 08:41 PM
Subscriber
amazing work, i have a very hard time animating so i can appriciate how much work you did to get that.
keep it up

# 8 05-02-2005 , 10:22 PM
Subscriber
The motion blue defintely adds to the sense of movement. The added camera shake adds great sense of weight. The only thing I liked better in the first render was the elongation of the body when the character dropped through the floor.

What method of kinematics are you using?

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 9 05-02-2005 , 11:16 PM
Hey thanks for the reples and comments guys user added image

another small update, ive added some delay to the arms and body on the fall and added some anticipation to the drop as well as making him drop alittle faster.

Drop and Fall 3

mhcannon: Im using IK legs and FK / IK arms and a strechy spine.

user added image

# 10 06-02-2005 , 12:12 AM
Subscriber
Still looks good, but now the motion blur works slightly against you. Just before the character falls throught the floor, the blur makes it looks as if it pops upward just a fraction. I really do like it though.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 11 06-02-2005 , 10:39 AM
Subscriber
I see what I like and I like what I see!!

I'm no expert or anything but that is really pretty. Keep up the good stuff,

Mat.

# 12 06-02-2005 , 12:34 PM

Originally posted by mhcannon
Still looks good, but now the motion blur works slightly against you. Just before the character falls throught the floor, the blur makes it looks as if it pops upward just a fraction.

I don't think that has to do with the motion blur. I really seems like his making a tiny jump up before he falls down. Doesn't look good I think, otherwise neat job.