Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 16-04-2004 , 08:48 PM
Subscriber

maya shuts down when creating textures in the hypershade (explorerslice.dll error?)

hello everyone.

whenever i try open up the hypershade and try to create a texture, the system hangs for a moment and then i get a program error that causes windows to have to shut down Maya. apparently, the file that caused the error is explorerslice.dll . what's even weirder is once i uninstall maya and reinstall it, everything runs fine (and i can create textures again) until i close Maya and run it again.

i tested this by trying to create a texture or bump map from a file. true enough i got the error. i uninstalled, then reinstalled and it worked fine. i closed maya and opened it again. i tried to create a fractal texture. error. same uninstall reinstall procedure. it worked. i closed maya and ran it again only to find the same error.

this never used to happen. it happened once when i installed maya to a new partition on my hard disk and continued to happen every time after. i reformatted another partition and reinstalled windows and maya onto it but still the problem occurs.

i'd appreciate any help you could give me. having to uninstall and reinstall everytime i want to create textures from image files is very very inconvenient.

thanks! user added image

# 2 17-04-2004 , 07:08 PM
Have you dried reinstalling the vid drivers ar older/newer ones.

# 3 18-04-2004 , 03:37 AM
Subscriber
yup i've tried installing the newest video drivers. the thing is, this never used to happen, even with my current hardware. it started happening one day, and now, even after reformatting my hard disk, it keeps happening.

i reformatted my hard disk yesterday, reinstalled windows xp, the video driver, and maya, and everything worked fine. i restarted a few times and re-ran maya and everything worked ok. after leaving the pc on overnight (to finish a download), i ran maya this morning and once again, the problem occured.

i have no idea where this problem lies, but windows says it's in explorerslice.dll . but i'm still not sure how to fix it because i worked with maya on this same hardware and OS for around 3 months before and this never happened. user added image but now it is..

# 4 18-04-2004 , 08:35 AM
Subscriber
apparently the problem doesn't only include explorerslice.dll. all the dlls are affected.. after using maya a number of times, even the renderslice.dll and imageUI.dll files cause errors (when i try to open the Render View and try to render a scene, respectively).

getting a headache trying to figure out the cause of this problem... user added image